The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Timing Valves without Timing Marks
Hi Jamie

You have a degree plate at the other end of the engine, albeit uncalibrated. All is on the basis of a standard or simply ground camshaft.
By taking  points further down the cam flank the effect of wear on the nose is avoided. Ideally should drive camshaft in the normal direction but backlash with gears seldom significant.

Many claim after market gears often different. What differences have been experienced? For Seven driving as intended does a slight advance assist?
(25-05-2021, 08:07 AM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Both

Just a comment to say how much I’ve got from this thread.  I’ve always been able to put the gears together using visible marks.  However in my next engine build I intend to check this using Stuart’s instructions.  This may lead to an offset key so I’ll be back asking question about that in the future!

Thanks both

Howard

Howard,
Good to hear that you've found this thread to be useful. Sometimes it's difficult to gauge whether there's an appetite for engineering based stuff on a forum such as this.
(25-05-2021, 01:59 PM)Stuart Giles Wrote:
(25-05-2021, 08:07 AM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Both

Just a comment to say how much I’ve got from this thread.  I’ve always been able to put the gears together using visible marks.  However in my next engine build I intend to check this using Stuart’s instructions.  This may lead to an offset key so I’ll be back asking question about that in the future!

Thanks both

Howard

Howard,
            Good to hear that you've found this thread to be useful. Sometimes it's difficult to gauge whether there's an appetite for engineering based stuff on a forum such as this.

Even when I don't understand (which is often) I genuinely appreciate engineering based stuff - especially as we (I) will increasingly need to find home grown solutions.
There is always room on the forum for technical stuff. Even if some of the information is not directly relevant to all of us, it makes for interesting reading, and you never know! (See Howard's post above.) Knowledge is never wasted.
Fingers crossed, but I think that I have sorted this now. I need to do it again more carefully tomorrow to make certain.

Regards,

Jamie.
Excellent news, once you get into the groove it doesn't take too long to dial in a cam. Not quite so straightforward for you as a "first timer" -pun intended- when there were no timing marks to give you a clue as to where to start.
HI STUART,
Your reply to the Question with a step by step guide and photos was great,
this is the type of response that enables members to understand why and how things a done and gives them the confidence to try and get it right
Some times on this Forum answers are only opinions (which every one is allowed )
but for people who do not have a back ground in Engineering can be confusing
When working on small HP engines especially, getting the small Detail right is very important.
So just take your time no need to Rush.

Colin 
NZ
A quick lunchtime update. As far as I can measure at the moment, I can either get the inlet valve on piston 1 to open at about 5 degrees before top dead centre or about 10 degrees after TDC. I assume a slight advance is preferable if this is how the pattern part has been made?

Regards,

Jamie
Hi Jamie,
What are the ATDC maximum lift figures in these two cases? the reason people don't usually time camshafts off opening and closing figures is that the maximum opening figure is easier to get accurate/consistent results from.

Running the cam advanced will lose top end power without picking up anything you'd notice @ low RPM. Running the cam slightly retarded -not as much as 10 degrees, gives good top end power, but the low down power loss is likely to be noticeable in a heavier car. As the old engine builder saying goes, 'with cam timing as with a pub, late closing is always better than early opening'
Hello, Stuart. 

I have now measured the angle for maximum lift on inlet valve 1. My degree wheel is quite small with tiny markings, making it difficult to be precise. However, as best as I can judge the valve is open fully at 108 degrees. Allowing for the inaccuracies of my equipment, my use of the equipment and the settings of the the tappet clearances, I am happy with this. Thank you for all of your help.

Regards,

Jamie.