The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noise on braking
Hi Folks,

Looking for some advice, I have a 1927 Chummy and when braking have a loud noise from underneath the car I have checked for anything loose and the brakes are in good order, any ideas?
Thanks
John
Hayling Island
My first guess is that it could be the radius arm ball joint mounted on the front cross member...jack the front of the car up and put axle stands under the front chassis members so there is no weight on the front axle and you should be able to detect any slack in the joint.
broken brake pivot pin?
Not sure what you have checked by way of brakes being 'in good order', but pivot pin might settle in apparently the right place but be broken?
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Thanks Folks will further investigate and report back.

John
Thanks for the advice folks, I did as Ivor suggested and found the radius arm ball joint to have no play at all. I lubricated it and everything else I could find as I was under the car and tried it before I started looking at the brakes. I have a longish drive so tried some sharp braking, the juddering and noise had vanished so next I took it down a quiet country lane and tried some emergency braking (coasting to a stop) all fine.
So thanks again.
John