The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tap & die kits to acquire, Spanner sockets reccs
Hi Arthur

This site has some handy information about the different thread forms and spanners.
Mr Bacon retired a couple of years ago, but his website lives on.

http://www.baconsdozen.co.uk/tools/conve...charts.htm
And of course if the wife (the weaker sex?) is to help you you will need to get her a decent sized adjustable for pinion nuts and rear axle  hub bearing nuts.
Some advocate using a chisel and hammer to remove the rear axle hub bearing nuts!!!!!! tish tish

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Using a blunt or not so blunt chisel was not uncommon. but tools were relatively far more expensive and many persons had no free cash. When times were much more affluent I recall paying $3 (L1.5) for a new 12" Crescent in early 60s, ; equivalent about $120 today when most have some money to spare. But need bigger for the rear nut. For such very occasional use, with a little thought clamp on levers using angle iron or a bar can be fabricated. Old pipe wrenches are available very cheap and with care can be used with protective spacers..
OK why is my attachment photo not showing.....in my post 12? it shows" attachment with its file number" in reply box on the line after "tish tish " but not in preview or in post. clicking edit on post 12 brings up the reply box and the [attachment + number] still shows up
(22-04-2021, 07:50 PM)Dennis Nicholas Wrote: OK why is my attachment photo not showing.....in my post 12?  it shows" attachment with its file number" in reply box on the line after "tish tish " but not in preview or in post.  clicking edit on post 12 brings up the reply box and the [attachment + number] still shows up

A fine looking lass with a look alone that can tighten the nuts Dennis? I can see your picture. When she's finished there, please send her round, I need to replace the valve guides in my block.
hi Dennis

I can tell it is not a professional garage workshop. You are using vice clamps (Although one situation where not required)
I realise she undoing, but so many are loose thay clearly use some lesser wrench.
Is this evidence of cross threading?
I have found an old set of Whitworth tube spanners to be useful. They are usually thinner than sockets so fit tight spots and with a small bar through them you can't easily over torque things. I also fairly recently discovered Knipex Wrench/Pliers (https://www.knipex.com/products/new-prod...ol/8601300) which I find far better to use than adjustable spanners when I can't be bothered wandering over to the real spanner box and quickly need to do something!

Simon
The 22 FZB up draught carburetor is metric.
The back axle hub bearing spanner 1 7/8 that goes with wife's little adjustable!  (Christmas smiles....or was it grimaces)
First search produced eye watering prices, then found this one at a fraction of price.

now saving up for new garage working boots and a better wooly-pulley.

Vice jaws -- I have the alloy angle for soft work and a set of steel ones for harder, otherwise just use the fitted rough faced jaws for rough work.

Dennis