The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Mk1 Ruby
(29-12-2017, 04:10 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: I would agree, Ian; the window frames on that one don't appear to be a gloss finish. Notice the very pronounced reflection in the glass, which I would expect to be repeated in some manner in the paintwork if it was gloss. Also interesting: that car has no trafficators; did they not feature on Australian cars of the period?

Edit: Of course, it's left-hand drive, so probably not Australian anyway ...

...and it has 16" wheels, which was normal for lhd cars. I don't remember seeing the number plate above the bumper previously, but it's easy to do that.
I have just been given a copy of the Pre War Austin seven club 2018 calendar and November's picture is of a Mk1 Ruby once again having matt window surrounds. I feel we now have pretty conclusive evidence that the finish here was indeed in contrast to the rest of the paintwork.
Black Art Enthusiast
I have been meaning to come back to this thread; I have been looking at countless period photos, and whilst I cannot come to a definite conclusion, I do agree that the evidence points to a satin paint finish to the window surrounds - I cannot find a single photo which shows any degree of light reflection.
The original photo may have been reversed at some time, hence the starting handle, which would also make this a LHD model.
Adrian.
(23-01-2018, 01:57 PM)Adrian Payne Wrote: The original photo may have been reversed at some time, hence the starting handle, which would also make this a LHD model.
Adrian.

It's possible, but I don't think so. If the photo is reversed that would put the petrol filler on the left-hand side of the car, which I don't think is correct for a left-hand drive car. Also I would then expect the exhaust to be just visible under the front mudguard, which it is not.
(23-01-2018, 02:31 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote:
(23-01-2018, 01:57 PM)Adrian Payne Wrote: The original photo may have been reversed at some time, hence the starting handle, which would also make this a LHD model.
Adrian.

It's possible, but I don't think so. If the photo is reversed that would put the petrol filler on the left-hand side of the car, which I don't think is correct for a left-hand drive car. Also I would then expect the exhaust to be just visible under the front mudguard, which it is not.

Definitely not reversed, Dunlop on the front tyre is the right way round.
Looking at the sales brochure "As I was walking to St. Ives", the imagery of the Mk I Ruby & Mk I Pearl show the front door & quarter light frames all in a contrasting colour to the bodywork. Appreciate that manufacturer's have artistic licence when producing literature, but the contrast colour is evident! I will scan in the pages later on!
My 'under-restoration' 1934 mk1 Ruby de luxe is fairly original in most respects. Off the road since 1966. So I've just been out to the garage to sand off some of the early fifties green re-spray. Once through the fifties green and through it's grey primer, I find black then straight to metal -- exactly the same on the doors, wings, and again the area around the windows. Can be certain that the original colour was black with green upholstery and the window surround area was also black. Don't think I could tell between gloss and black though.