The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil change following gearbox rebuild
Hi All

I have recently rebuilt my three speed box and been running it for about 50 miles (20W50 oil). With a rebuilt engine I would change the oil at 50, 100 and then 250 etc., but with a gearbox how often after rebuild would “Forumistas”change the oil?

Cheers

Howard
I'll probably get shot down in flames for this but as there are no plain bearings to worry about, you can leave the oil change until the normal period. I usually do mine every 2 - 3 years, which probably only accounts for 1000 - 2000 miles.
An oil change fairly early on will get rid of (a) any grot which was accumulated, generated or missed during assembly and (b) any shavings, grindings, splinters etc. of material generated by early running, assuming that a certain degree of bedding-in will occur. I don't think it worthwhile before 500 miles but I'm not sure I'd leave it too much longer. I doubt any catastrophe is likely if you did.
A magnetic drain plug makes sense to pick up steel fragments.
Jim
I agree Austin.
Hi All

And thanks for the replies.  I will leave it until I change the engine oil at 500miles and put a magnet in the drain plug (I’ve got one on the engine sump!).  I’ve only done 170miles so far and changed the engine oil at 50 and 100. I plan the next engine oil change at 250 and then 500. (Splash fed, gauze filter).

The car seems to be running well although is quite tappety, probably because of the reground followers. I may have the manifolds off and check the tappets when I do the 250 mile oil change.

Cheers

Howard
With no loaded plain bearings or non synchro gears to chip many modern cars using current anti oxidant oils are considered filled for life. From what I observed garages used to leave dismantled parts lieing about and early draining got rid of floor sweeping dust, grinder shower etc. On my 1960s car with some plain bearings for decades I used to alternate the oil drawing off the top. Can be poured through a filter (Odd new filters are often very cheap at swap meets.)