The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear axle flanges
Continuing my saga of the  back axle....
I set about re- adjusting the brakes ( a straightforward luxury with hydraulics!)and noticed that he offside outer hub (with its new half shaft key and properly tightened nut!) flange was not hard up against the inner flange when the clamping force of the wheel nuts was relaxed! In fact a gap of about 1/16" could be seen! The inner flange could be moved in & out! Once wheel nuts/countersunk screws etc are tightened  of course this inner flange is tight against the outer....the assembly had not moved at all after a brisk 15 mile run. Nor does the wheel appear to be loose.
The other side is snug one half up to the other. No untoward noises, no rattles.....
Any comments.....I don't like it Captain Mainwaring. .....
the only thing that can hold the outer hub off the inner one, assuming the bearing is correct, is the halfshaft. Is it a SWB axle with a LWB halfshaft in it?
I am sure the shaft is correct. Could the bearing be incorrectly seated? Not seated far enough in/ out?
I suspect one half of the hub is worn so the bearing is not a tight fit. Once the wheel is tightened it pulls together. If it isn't leaking oil onto the brakes I would be inclined to leave it.
Alternatively dismantle the hub and see where it's loose.
Jim
I have just been examining the sectioned drawing of the rear hub in pitman's notorious book! I had come to the same conclusion. There is no sign of an oil leak and I am not minded to split the outer hub again & as I had not disturbed the bearing nut I think I will leave well alone!
I will now drill an access hole in the brake drum so I can adjust the snail a bit more accurately...at the moment it has to be done with the drum off...not ideal!
Thanks to you both
I take it the parts simply separate and do not forcibly spring apart. As per Austin above it is only the tight fit of the bearing and any stickiness of the gasket which keeps them together. Bearings loose in the hub are a problem at the front but not of much consequence at the rear. If when clamped the hub can still be pulled in and out often indicates the felt spacer washer has been ommitted or the gasket too thick, a frequent cause of the bearings working loose in the hubs. The ability to pull the axle out a little at least confirms tht the hub has not been excessively lapped.
I dunno about Morris ones but some snail cams work loose on their shaft so have to fully back off and advance again to make adjustments.
Yes the parts separated easily. I have put ut back together & all feels fine.drilled an access hole in a drum and it was fine to adjust the snail. I suppose I should do all the other drums now....
However a bit overtaken by events. See other post!