The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Propshaft clattering at higher speeds
I hadn't realised that the life expectancy was so short so will certainly look into the conversion mentioned - I'm assuming it wouldn't cause any issues with VSCC eligibility?

In the meantime I've ordered a new flexible coupling to get me back on the road. I think I had a bit of a battle last time I replaced it so a couple of questions:

Should it be doable without uncoupling the propshaft at the rear?
Is there a correct procedure for doing up the bolts to the correct tightness? Presumably the coupling will start to compress if done up too much, so is it simply a case of doing up until the split-pin holes line up with the castellated nut?

Thanks for all the good advice so far
When I relived. The clutch on my car at about 98000 miles, I replaced the fabric coupling at the same time. I can’t remember. Who the coupling came from. It was eitherSeven Workshops or David Cochran’s. 6000 miles later and it’s still all right.
“Proper” fabric couplings should be very durable and last well, it’s sourcing the right one and there was a thread recently covering this subject in detail, I’ll see if I can track it down for you and post a link.

Here you go! https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...t#pid54747
I replaced one during the coffee stop on one of Malcolm Parker's runs, if done on a slight slope let the handbrake off to allow the shaft to turn to access the next nut, all done sitting in the passenger seat.
(12-04-2021, 03:25 PM)David Stepney Wrote: ... I replaced the fabric coupling at the same time. I can’t remember. Who the coupling came from. It was eitherSeven Workshops or David Cochran’s. 6000 miles later and it’s still all right.
David - you got one from me.

I can supply a propshaft which bolts straight in without needing to have any flanges changed. See here: https://www.a7spares.co.uk/spares.php#propshaft
Unrelated to the problem complained of, but as the title will crop up in Search, for completeness a vibration can occur on fast slight downgrades when the car is between drive and overrun. The inherent unbalance of the drivesaft vibrates any clearance in the torque tube ball joint.
I can vouch for David Cochrane's H/S prop-shaft. I simply unbolted the original shaft from my 1928 and installed the new one.

As this is my first Austin Seven I did not appreciate the improvement it made until my passengers commented how smoothly the car rode compared to their fabric uni models.

Russell.