The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stuck Woodruff Key
The Woodruff key in my crankshaft is stuck fast and will not move. Would localised heat load by a freezing spray cause any problems?

Regards,

Jamie.
Do not apply localised heat to your crankshaft.

The technique I generally employ is to slowly 'worry' it out with taps from different directions. Once you get a little movement going more will slowly follow. Apply leverage or a drift under any overhang if there still is one. Try striking from above (with a drift) to rock it in its groove. Persevere. If truly stuck you may have to resort to machine tools e.g. drill it through, and it still might put up a fight. But it's one of those cases where you should exhaust the least aggressive methods before you up the ante.
Thank you for confirming my thoughts about heat. I have tried levering, pulling with pliers, tapping each end, chiselling under one end and levering, but to no avail. All I have succeeded in doing is mangling the key entirely. I shall have to resort to using a Dremel and cutting discs to chop it out.

Regards,

Jamie.
Occasionally I've managed to get mole grips to lock on the key then whacked or levered the mole grips.
But yes if there's nothing left to grip then you may have to resort to machine tools.
Is it assembled with bearings? Or just a shaft? In the latter case there may be cleaner options to machine it out.
Hi Jamie

I’m assuming you have soaked it in plus gas or similar? Best left overnight (says he whose second name is impatience).

Cheers

Howard
Howard,

I completely forgot that! Now sprayed.

Regards,

Jamie
I generally use a drop of diesel/heating oil - usually works if you soak it long enough
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Hold crank firmly in the vice. Get centre punch and hammer. Place centre punch near either end of the key and hit smartly with the hammer. The key should rotate slightly. Do same other end to rotate it back. Keep going until the key comes free.
Alan Fairless
It's out. Sprayed with penetrating fluid, left for a few hours while we went for a walk by the river: came back and slit it along the length with a diamond-coated disc in the Dremel and rocked it out.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Regards,

Jamie.