The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Useful Christmas presents for Austin Sevens
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGITEN-Convert...B019GY2FLW
This was one present I asked for at Christmas. It's a six to twelve volt converter and gives you 12 volts at 10 amps. I decided to get one when I realised how much easier it would be to buy accessories if they were 12 volts. Such as a 12. Volt oil coil for a superb spark, a 12 volt Petrol pump to back up your mechanical one or a 12 volt water temperature gauge for instance. The list is endless.
The other present I have is a capillary temperature gauge to replace mine that doesn't work any more.
Maybe a silly question, but could you run an A7 with battery and dynamo at 6v and then step up to 12v for the lights AND ignition?
(28-12-2017, 03:02 PM)cardiffrob Wrote: Maybe a silly question, but could you run an A7 with battery and dynamo at 6v and then step up to 12v for the lights AND ignition?

Not simple but the answer  is yes. You would have to move the ignition and lights to the output of the 12 volt converter and make sure that the input to the converter is via the ignition switch so it's not on all the time.
(28-12-2017, 02:21 PM)Thowdfella Wrote: https://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGITEN-Convert...B019GY2FLW
This was one present I asked for at Christmas. It's a six to twelve volt converter and gives you 12 volts at 10 amps. I decided to get one when I realised how much easier it would be to buy accessories if they were 12 volts. Such as a 12. Volt oil coil for a superb spark, a 12 volt Petrol pump to back up your mechanical one or a 12 volt water temperature gauge for instance. The list is endless.
The other present I have is a capillary temperature gauge to replace mine that doesn't work any more.

The focus should be to reduce the load on your working 6v dynamo by adjusting the output to say 4 amps, and not sucking more juice out of it by adding accessories. 6v LED lamps are readily available, and we have been advised electronic ignition improves spark although I have not tried that yet. I note your water temp gauge requirement is now sorted but for those preferring 6v,  water temp senders that will screw into the A7 head welsh plug hole (after tapping a thread) can be had here... 
http://www.davidsonsalesshop.com/templat...upGuid=199
I used a 6v Stewart Warner gauge as well.
On our recent tour of the UK we did use 3 smaller versions of these 6/12v converters for 12v LED indicators, stop lights and tail. I tested the current draw and it was negligible. I do worry about the potential 10 amp  draw of your converter flattening your battery,  cheers  Russell