The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
main bearing assembly order
I'm just about to commence re-assembling my engine......
Woodrow says do rear bearing first, Bob Garre says do the front - which is easiest for the novice (well, two novices)?
Also, everyone agrees that you should heat the crankcase, but often suggest that you will likely still need some gentle tapping.
Has anyone tried freezing the crank prior to assembly? I can't see how it could be detrimental - it would be great if the bearings could just slip in to place.....

What do people think?
I’ve got an old set of bearings with the bores and o/d s ground to be a sliding fit. That way you can easily do a trial assembly and check everything fits before final assembly. But, to answer your question, I then fit the front with the rear supported by the trial bearings and finally the rear.
Alan Fairless
I fit the rear main inner race to the shaft (if it has been removed) then install in the case and assemble the front bearings. The rear outer race then goes in with its housing, though it can be introduced before the front bearings are fully home in order to give the shaft some support at both ends. 

Don't heat / freeze shaft or bearings - it takes surprisingly little heat to damage them, and freezing will cover them in condensation. Nor should it be necessary. Don't use Loctite if you want to be able to remove them again later.

Definitely warm the case, and if you have to use a drift use it in such a way that force is transmitted through the appropriate race, not through the rolling elements.

I'd suggest testing pre-load of A/C fronts before assembly in the case if possible - A7 Companion tells you how.
James the front crank bearings only need to be a a light push fit on the front of the crankshaft, polish out the bore of the bearing with a small emery wheel until they push onto the crank there is a large bolt securing them it's the rear bearing that needs to be a tight fit on the crank if necessary with locktite. Check the clearance between the bearing and flywheel for the oil thrower before fitting the crank. Terry.