The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is fan needed?
My Ruby seems to have no problem keeping cool. So today I took the fan belt off. Running a bit warmer in this icy weather would seem a good idea.

What do others think please? Will I need it in summer?
Hi Andrew
The early cars ran perfectly well with no fan, as one was not fitted.
Having said that if you finish up in a traffic queue an early car will overheat.
Safest to leave the fan working  I would say.
Maybe a good idea is to blind off part of the radiator in very cold weather.
I did the thermostat mod that was suggested on this site and it works very well. My RN now warms up quickly and keeps an even temperature in all conditions.
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
I always remove the fan belt in cold weather, been doing it for 30 years with no issues.
From old studies from the 1950s and earlier it would seem that rapid warm up as with a thermostst is likely to have more effect on engine wear than filters, frequent oil changes etc. The effect possibly less with modern oils but modern cars go to great lengths to operate hot. With Seven main bearinggs so affected by condensation warm running is especially important
I'm another on who removes the belt in cold weather. But all my cars have a gauge of one sort or another so I can watch temperature.
How about a compromise, slacken the fan belt until it slows a bit...?
The important thing is to not overtightn the fan cotter, as I discovered as a teenager.