The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my engine does not run well on tickover
Hello all,  My Mk1 Ruby is bad on tickover. The engine seems to sort of run in pulses in that the engine runs smooth followed by not so smooth and slightly slower.  The engine ticks over like this but never actually stops but keeps up the rhythm of smooth then not so smooth. I have got it on a fast tickover otherwise it cuts out.
Any idea to the cause.  I have renewed all the ignition parts eg plugs, points leads and condencer.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Could this be wear in your throttle spindle John ?
Hi John,
I have a similar issue with my 1938 Ruby. I have recently had the carburettor apart and there is very little wear in the throttle butterfly spindle. I have seen a Ford 10 engine run fine with more wear.
So still scratching my head over this.
I'd suggest it's an air leak in the inlet somewhere - could be throttle spindle as Nick suggests or, carb or inlet gasket?
vaseline over the ends of the throttle spindle worth trying anyway.
Are there areas in a Zenith that would benefit from electronic cleaning? Could you try someone else's spare unit to isolate that as an issue?
Have you got the correct 26VA pairing of body and bowl?  I refer you to previous posts and the Dunford photo comparison which shows which goes with which.
John, it suggests to me a varying mixture strength; could be many causes but, I would consider the possibility of an air leak on the tank side of the fuel pump reducing delivery per pump stroke, or maybe a tired or slightly perished diaphragm on the mechanical fuel pump as early investigations??

Ian Mc.
Eager to know John, have you solved the problem yet??
Hello Ian, Sorry I am late in replying but I am still having log on problems with my apple ipad and have only just got my lap top back from my grandson who has been using it for his school work during lockdown.
As for my Ruby the quick answer is no because it has been too cold to work in the garage. I do think I have discovered the problem however. The petrol level being to low in the float chamber being caused by having a fiber sealing washer and the thick ally washer on the needle valve lowering it to far I will check this out next week when my son can come over and help. my eyesight is getting worse and I am now classed as partly sighted. I will keep you all informed of the result

john Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(07-04-2021, 09:02 AM)Robin Oldfield Wrote: Have you got the correct 26VA pairing of body and bowl?  I refer you to previous posts and the Dunford photo comparison which shows which goes with which.

I have just been sorting through my 26VA carbs to find a goon one but many are part dismantled.  I think I need to know more about this correct pairing business, how do I find it?