The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
rear brake cable adjustment adaptions?
I only have the 'bolt cutter' style of swage tool although the longer 'direct to wire fitting' is used with reliability amongst the sailing fraternity. I never purchased that type as the tool was quite expensive. I have faith in both systems, the long one being the best for simplicity, strength, lightness.
I think elongation of the thimble is a non issue as the turnbuckle can readjust.
First time I have seen the DIY ends so no experience there, looks good, maybe heavier (bounce).
This subject came up in the old forum where kilo strain capacity was stated and generally regarded as being more than could be generated by a Gorilla on the pedal.
(06-04-2021, 08:21 AM)JonE Wrote: I've bought some M6 turnbuckles (4.50 each - cheaper than an Austin 7 adjuster!)  

If you buy one turnbuckle with forked ends and another with eyed ends, you can make two turnbuckles, each with a fork one end and an eye the other end, avoiding the need for the link.

John
That is excactly what I intended to do, but 8MM fork end turnbucles have 8mm clevice pins, 8mm eyed end turnbucles do not have 8mm eyes suitable for clevis pins, they have 13mm eyes for a rope or cable to loop through. If you know a supplier of eyed turnbucles with an eye the same size as the nominal screw size I would be glad to hear of it.
Cliff.

If you buy one turnbuckle with forked ends and another with eyed ends, you can make two turnbuckles, each with a fork one end and an eye the other end, avoiding the need for the link.

John
[/quote]
(06-04-2021, 10:34 PM)Cliff Ringrose Wrote: That is excactly what I intended to do, but 8MM fork end turnbucles have 8mm clevice pins, 8mm eyed end turnbucles do not have 8mm eyes suitable for clevis pins, they have 13mm eyes for a rope or cable to loop through. If you know a supplier of eyed turnbucles with an eye the same size as the nominal screw size I would be glad to hear of it.
Cliff.

The M8 rigging screws that I've got have 8mm pin holes in both the fork and eye ends. They fit perfectly with Austin 7 clevis pins.

Off the top of my head, I can't remember where I got them, but I will have a record somewhere and will let you know. Might even have been ebay!

John
I couldn't find who I bought mine from, but these people do them:

Secure Fix Direct

Bit pricey, I think I paid half that.

John

These people are a bit cheaper, but pin hole is 8.5mm:

GS products

Petersen do them as well, but seem to remember these rae top quality (and price!):

Petersen
Also look at mcgillmotorsport,they list turnbuckles.
Presumably you could also use something like these (though less profession looking)? It's odd that the eye/eye combo is must less common in the closed body.
https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/produ...inc-plated
Thanks for those links,John. I should have looked harder, as combining two different ends is the way to go. All we need now is to find someone produces them ready made with a fork one end, and an eye the other!
Cliff.

Just checked those links again, and i think this one aught to be adequate for our needs.
https://www.gsproducts.co.uk/us-federal-...e-eye-jaw/
Cliff.
but aren't we doing one each side? It also seems the often, the reason for a new cable is the fact that the adjustment bit has unravelled... so this should allow continued use by lopping 4" off the same cable.
If you have coupled brakes you only need one rigging screw on the right hand side. the front brakes are self balancing (sort of )
What you need is enough slack in the rear right cable that the rear left which has the most losses and the rear right actually come on together when you press the brake pedal, you then bring the front brakes up to work in harmony. If you do this with the car unloaded and static they will never be correct. I dive the car on a bit of grass with the front brakes slack and try and get even skidding on the back then wind the front brakes up until I am happy.
The handbrake will never work evenly on the back brakes adjusted like this but it should be up to MOT standard on the front.
I have locked the front brakes up on the rolling road in the past. this is because the car is static once you are on the move you get the reverse servo effect as the front axle twists and lets the brakes off.