The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby Mk 2 loading
Coming back from Brighton after watching the Veteran Run in the 1960s, two burly Morgan friends asked for a lift home to Birmingham
in our 31 saloon OV3398. Setting out at 4pm in the November cold it took us 12 hours with 4 aboard. Battery and lights soon began to fade so lots of the journey was done with everything switched off. I think the rear passenger's knees kept their ears warm.
4 persons weighing 10 stone,its in the handbook,actually i am 16 stone,still trying to work it out
The curvature of the seat back is a hint to the proportions of passengers suitable.
I am often dismayed at the stiff unforgiving seats in moderns. I suspect it is to accomodate the huge range of body weights and avoid warranty claims from the 22 stoners. My inherited Jazz would be much improved with Austin blow up seats but not allowed to replace. (I am curious so many still use the term stone. Even my quite elderly Dr frowns when I mention stone. I can still manage the mental conversion from pounds but get a bit lost on kg.)
Auckland has a pop of Pacific Islanders very many of whom are 20 stoners. Thirty five years ago the sight of 4 in their stunning Sunday best all in an original Starlet was quite common. I suspect the Jap designers were thinking more as the Ruby designers, and not of 4 Sumo wrestlers..
One memorable, very rainy, night at Essex University back in the late 60's my 1937 Mk 2 Ruby carried seven people some 5 miles to the cinema. At least two of passengers were over 16 stone!

Unfortunately while driving through Colchester I was pulled over by a policeman walking his beat in the pouring rain. When he asked how many people were in the car he was amazed when I answered seven! He asked how I managed to change gear, I showed him by flashing through the gears (to the consternation and near rupture of the very large passenger in the front seat with a smaller one on his lap. I didn't tell the policeman I had only been using third and fourth gears for most of the journey!). I promised that most of the passengers would be going home in Colchester on foot later and not returning with me in the car.

The policeman commented that my vehicle could be considered unroadworthy but to our delight he allowed us to continue without any further action and the car didn't seem to suffer any lasting effects.

My rough guess is that the load that night was about 575 kgs!!

So don't worry - just have fun!
On the topic I have noticed the small bit i get to drive my chummy is that it seems that the rear brake is catching and not letting the car go when the car has a lot of weight in the back. any suggestions?
Even with original system and levers the cable geometry is not perfect. If adjusted up with little free travel may tend to drag when loaded. A long pedal travel usually necessary.