The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temperature Gauge
Does any else get erratic readings from their Boyce gauge.

On my RN the readings were all over the show despite me having done the thermostat mod suggested on this site.

To cure the apparent problem I've extended the probe with a short piece of 10mm copper tubing as I suspected that the probe wasn't actually in the coolant once the system got going. The logic of the copper is that it has good heat transfer properties and 'voila' I now get a steady reading in keeping with the cars usage and the thermostat is doing a grand job of a quick warm up and consistent temperatures.

Boosted by this flush of success I went a stage farther and made up a vented coolant container out of sight behind the front number plate into which the overflow pipe goes, a la modern cars, meaning that the coolant level will pretty much look after itself now and stay topped up.

I really must have a lie down now, the excitement is getting too much.
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
The coolant will only look after itself if you have a sealed (and therefore pressurised) system.

Modern cars work because, as they cool, the closed system creates a vacuum which sucks the excess water back into the radiator.

(So I believe)

I'm afraid you will have to pour the tank contents back in yourself.
No loss water system

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The system is actually sealed inasmuch as the overflow pipe is immersed in coolant and with the natural expansion and contraction of the system it sorts itself out so far - as long as the rad cap is sealing all appears to be ok

Great minds think alike - mine is more akin to your early model !
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
If you've had a seven long enough, you figure out that it will find its own level, somewhere when cold where the coolant level is just above the core.

So long as you have no leaks or a calamity occurs, thats where it needs to be.

My check is take the cap off. Coolant visible. Good to go. No coolant, the bastard has a leek
Typical Salopian joke that.
Hedd ain't wrong though, Steve! He's just never overcome the Welsh Leek for Leak.