The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water Pouring Out of Exhaust
(24-12-2017, 07:37 PM)AllAlloyCup Wrote: Sadly my auto spell changed useful to “useless”

I really appreciate these notes and will follow them to the letter

Sorry!

Regards

Bill

Phew! That's a relief. I'm smiling.
It raised my eyebrows as well! The only time my (inherited) forehead looks normal!
(24-12-2017, 09:39 AM)trevorcharlesmorgan Wrote: I've had my Austin 7 Ruby based special off the road for a year or so whilst I sent the block to be re-bored and I also had all the head stud holes helicoiled. I finally got around to sparking it up and got it to run for around forty seconds, I stopped the engine as I needed to fill the cooling system before running it for longer. I filled the radiator with fresh water and antifreeze. I then turned it over and water came not dribbling but gushing out of the the exhaust, the same fresh water and antifreeze I'd put in a few moments ago. I was surprised by the volume of water that came out. I haven't taken the head off yet but it seams as tough the water did not get into combustion chambers as the water did not cause the engine to lock up whilst turning over. Any ideas?

Trevor,

When coming to start the engine on my special for the first time, I had a similar experience.

Water coming out of the exhaust manifold as fast as I was pouring it into the radiator!

I had fitted a sports exhaust manifold that siamesed numbers 2 and 3 exhaust ports. The new manifold did not utilise one of the original mounting studs, but failing to realise that it was a through hole into the water jacket, I had not plugged it.

All sorted now thank goodness. An example of an Austin 7 thing that you only do once!

Alan
I agree with what has been said previously about leakage from head stud and manifold stud holes. Just something to remember when re assembling. Wipe away any excess thread sealant with petrol soaked wrag caround the bottom of the studs so that your new gasket fits nice and flat to the head with the crimped side facing downwards to the block.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.