The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water Pouring Out of Exhaust
I've had my Austin 7 Ruby based special off the road for a year or so whilst I sent the block to be re-bored and I also had all the head stud holes helicoiled. I finally got around to sparking it up and got it to run for around forty seconds, I stopped the engine as I needed to fill the cooling system before running it for longer. I filled the radiator with fresh water and antifreeze. I then turned it over and water came not dribbling but gushing out of the the exhaust, the same fresh water and antifreeze I'd put in a few moments ago. I was surprised by the volume of water that came out. I haven't taken the head off yet but it seams as tough the water did not get into combustion chambers as the water did not cause the engine to lock up whilst turning over. Any ideas?
Did you take the manifold studs out ? If so will need sealing. Head studs also need sealing in my opinion. Good luck
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
I've got the manifold on bolts rather than studs so yes got them all out when a removed the manifold, I'll have to get myself down to Halfords then to see if I can get some thread sealer. Thanks for your response.
(24-12-2017, 09:59 AM)trevorcharlesmorgan Wrote: I've got the manifold on bolts rather than studs so yes got them all out when a removed the manifold, I'll have to get myself down to Halfords then to see if I can get some thread sealer. Thanks for your response.

I use PTFE tape for these threads.
It sounds to me like more than manifold studs. I think a leak from there would dribble not gush. Are you sure that the cylinder head gasket is tight?
Wink 
It so happens that I recently did this very job and at the same time I thought I would make a photographic record of 'how to'. If it is of any use or help to anyone for the time being you can download the PDF file from here:

https://tinyurl.com/y8wze97f

If Management would like  to keep it on the forum servers, feel free.

All usual disclaimers - it's how I choose to do it, which may not be how it is supposed to be done 'by the book'. [Image: wink.png]

.jpg   leaks.JPG (Size: 61.61 KB / Downloads: 509)
(24-12-2017, 11:01 AM)Alan Wrote: It sounds to me like more than manifold studs. I think a leak from there would dribble not gush.  Are you sure that the cylinder head gasket is tight?

I did torque it up correctly I believe and it was a fresh gasket, I've just bought some gasket sealant and am going to try and use that with another new head gasket.

(24-12-2017, 11:03 AM)Nick Salmon Wrote: It so happens that I recently did this very job and at the same time I thought I would make a photographic record of 'how to'. If it is of any use or help to anyone for the time being you can download the PDF file from here:

https://tinyurl.com/y8wze97f

If Management would like  to keep it on the forum servers, feel free.

All usual disclaimers - it's how I choose to do it, which may not be how it is supposed to be done 'by the book'. [Image: wink.png]

That's really great presentation, very useful, thank you.
Mostly useless instructions , ideally timed for two engine builds about to happen here

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
(24-12-2017, 04:51 PM)AllAlloyCup Wrote: Mostly useless instructions , ideally timed for two engine builds about to happen here

Bill G

Useless? Ouch!
Sadly my auto spell changed useful to “useless”

I really appreciate these notes and will follow them to the letter

Sorry!

Regards

Bill
Based near the Scottish Border,