The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stops very well with lots of charm....
Yup. This is the Opal of the Jewell Range launched in August 1934
It says it's a PD tourer in the ad blurb, which it looks like. An Opal is an open topped two seat version of the Ruby saloon isn't it? (ie with a Ruby style bonnet and rad cowl)

Or have I missed something?
The Car & Classic website says 1934 but, yes, it could still be an Opal which for some time retained the Chrome rad etc but with some Ruby-type parts such as automatic advance/retard so the steering wheel is probably correct.
We've covered this before, Bruce. The Opal was the chrome-rad APD 2-seater introduced in late 1934 with Ruby steering column and wheel but still on the high frame. The 'Ruby'-fronted low-chassis APE 2-seater came in mid-1935 and was officially just called '2-seater'! Needless to say, we call all of them Opals.
Assuming it is the original number and I fully accept there is no paperwork, the CPG registration was issued from March 1935.

Its not unusual to see a car made late in one year to be registered in the first part of the following year. But I think its pretty obvious its a APD Opal.

It may also be worth commenting that in the 1920's and 30's an open top car was the base spec, the 2 seater 'the' poverty model.

Hence why the chrome rad continued on the 2 seater (and the van) with the updating the higher spec models in August 1934 - the Ruby, the Pearl and the 4 seat Tourer.

Quite the opposite is true now. With the saloons being considered less desirable than any of the open cars.
top comes down, price goes up.
We've covered this before, Bruce. The Opal was the chrome-rad APD 2-seater introduced in late 1934 with Ruby steering column and wheel but still on the high frame. The 'Ruby'-fronted low-chassis APE 2-seater came in mid-1935 and was officially just called '2-seater'! Needless to say, we call all of them Opals.

Mike is correct of course and, having gained First in Anorakory, was the first to comb through the literature to prove it. After it was fitted with a Ruby cowl, the Opal was indeed henceforth listed as the "Two-Seater" - but one wonders why? Did Austin want to separate it from the 'gemstone range' when it was just the base model?

top comes down, price goes up.
Applies in other situations, too...
Thanks for the "heads-up". Thank goodness I have a saloon, I don't think I could live with all the confusion if I had a drop-top!
(24-03-2021, 08:14 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Thanks for the "heads-up". Thank goodness I have a saloon, I don't think I could live with all the confusion if I had a drop-top!

No Confusion with a Chummy! Unless it's an AB Pramhood, AC Pramhood, early AD, later AD, late AD, early AE.......