The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trafficator switch/inner control column of steering column
Hello Austin Seven Friends

This is my first post to this forum. I hope somebody will be able to help!

I replaced the steering wheel of my Ruby ARR with a recoated one. The inner part of the original (old) steering wheel and the new steering wheel does not look exactly the same (see attached photos)

When I reinserted the trafficator switch/inner control column through the new steering wheel into the steering column I could not achieve the gap anymore between the trafficator switch and the steering wheel, thus the trafficator switch moves with the steering wheel. First, I thought that the reason was the new steering wheel which does not look exactly the same inside as the old steering wheel. Then I inserted the inner control column into the old steering wheel outside of the car but could not see out any difference, so the solution must be somewhere between inner control column and the steering column, but where?

Does anybody know how to achieve the gap between the trafficator switch and the steering wheel so that the trafficator switch does not move with the steering wheel? The spare parts booklet shows felt bushes for inner column, top and lower. Are these the solution? If yes, I do not have them and also do not know where to get them...

I am most glad to receive any feedback to solve this problem and enabling me to reassemble by Ruby ARR.

Thanks a lot Christopher

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(28-01-2018, 01:56 PM)Christopher Wrote: Hello Austin Seven Friends

I replaced the steering wheel of my Ruby ARR with a recoated one. The inner part of the original (old) steering wheel and the new steering wheel does not look exactly the same (see attached photos)

When I reinserted the trafficator switch/inner control column through the new steering wheel into the steering column I could not achieve the gap anymore between the trafficator switch and the steering wheel, thus the trafficator switch moves with the steering wheel. First, I thought that the reason was the new steering wheel which does not look exactly the same inside as the old steering wheel. Then I inserted the inner control column into the old steering wheel outside of the car but could not see out any difference, so the solution must be somewhere between inner control column and the steering column, but where?

Does anybody know how to achieve the gap between the trafficator switch and the steering wheel so that the trafficator switch does not move with the steering wheel? The spare parts booklet shows felt bushes for inner column, top and lower. Are these the solution? If yes, I do not have them and also do not know where to get them...

I am most glad to receive any feedback to solve this problem and enabling me to reassemble by Ruby ARR.

Thanks a lot Christopher
Pull the switch assembly back out to achieve the clearance required and tighten the clamp at the bottom of the steering column
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
(28-01-2018, 01:56 PM)Christopher Wrote: Hello Austin Seven Friends

It is not clear from your email which photo is the old and which the new wheel. The first  photo has a mild steel device in it which cancels the traffic actor switch when the wheel is turned back from lock to central position. The second photo lacks this device, which can be left out, but then there will be no self cancel function and you will have to remember to do this on each occasion. The wheel should be fitted with the steel item at the 12 o'clock position when the front wheels are straight ahead. As has been said the stator tube position is so that the wheel boss does not touch the under side of the horn/indicator wheel centre. The pinch bolt at the bottom of the steering column outer keeps the stator tube in position, both radially and up and down. 
The felt strip, which is fitted in a spiral as the stator tube is slide into the column, has two functions. It prevents the stator tube rattling against the inside of the column and it helps prevent excess lubricant being deposited from the steering box into the drivers trouser lap. Available I think from the usual suspects, it can also be fashioned from a suitable thickness felt from the fabric department of the household.
hope this helped!

When I reinserted the trafficator switch/inner control column through the new steering wheel into the steering column I could not achieve the gap anymore between the trafficator switch and the steering wheel, thus the trafficator switch moves with the steering wheel. First, I thought that the reason was the new steering wheel which does not look exactly the same inside as the old steering wheel. Then I inserted the inner control column into the old steering wheel outside of the car but could not see out any difference, so the solution must be somewhere between inner control column and the steering column, but where
I put up with non-functioning cancel function on the trafficators for years.  Later I discovered that the steering wheel had been fitted 180 degrees out by a previous owner.  Refitting it properly made the cancelling work, the cast boss inside the wheel then engaging with the trafficator mechanism.

The steering wheel spokes should be in an upside-down "Y" pattern when the front wheels are pointing straight ahead, if that makes sense.  A side effect of this is that the vertical spoke obscures the speedo when you are doing 30 MPH unless you move your head and body slightly to one side.
(28-01-2018, 06:39 PM)John Cornforth Wrote: I put up with non-functioning cancel function on the trafficators for years.  Later I discovered that the steering wheel had been fitted 180 degrees out by a previous owner.  Refitting it properly made the cancelling work, the cast boss inside the wheel then engaging with the trafficator mechanism.

The steering wheel spokes should be in an upside-down "Y" pattern when the front wheels are pointing straight ahead, if that makes sense.  A side effect of this is that the vertical spoke obscures the speedo when you are doing 30 MPH unless you move your head and body slightly to one side.

Isn't the steel bit replaced by the diecast bump ?

Tony.
The steering column Top Felt Bush is available from the Seven Workshop - part FA0673 @ £2.04p. As Jack points out the flat piece of shaped felt is fitted in a spiral.

https://www.theaustinsevenworkshop.com/p...-bush-9393