The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear Wing identification clarification
In the Austin Seven service Journal there is a chart which is supposed to help identify which combination of front wing, running board and rear wing were used on various years of Austin Seven.

My seven  (A9- 309) AD body style had very butchered rear wings where the rust had been cut of so I have no idea what the rear of the wing looked like originally.  I suspect that they were like other 1929 A7s I've seen pics of which would be identified as illustration B in the journal.

.jpg   rear wing panel.jpg (Size: 43.68 KB / Downloads: 226)

However the Journal indicates that my wings should be as in in illustration D which I've not seen in any of the pics of 1929 A7s I've looked at.

Well you can imagine my surprise when I found the letter D stamped into the forward lower edge of the right hand rear wing !  I've repaired the wing to the way it was before the rust was cut away and am making up the rear panel that is spot welded to the flange so that the wing will look like all the others I've seen, namely Illustration 2.

Has anyone else come across this discrepancy or seen type D wings on a 1929 A7 ?   Have any of you seen Letter stamps on your wings ?
Cheers,
Stephen
Stephen,

I personally have never seen type B on mid '28 thro' to mid  '29 vehicles. My original saloon, October '28, A7-3985 has D type wings.

Hope this helps!

Chris ( A7CA archive group )
Stampings on wings.

When I last rebuilt my '33 4 seat Tourer (circa 1980) I noticed some mysterious letter stampings on the wings so yes, you are not alone. I was mildly curious and photographed the markings. If I could only find the photos that would have been quite useful!

Regards,
Stuart