The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flywheel Timing Marks
ok, and the 'down the spark plug ole' thing... IF you have the head off, just watching the piston in relation to a metal rule across the top face... and marking its top point - is this just as reliable?
Most accurate way is the positive stop method, piston on stop from both ways, marking flywheel periphery each time and and bisecting. There is a lot of 'dwell' at the TDC which makes it hard to get accurate results, even with a DTI. Piece of flat with a bolt threaded into it works fine if the head is off.
Accuracy in finding TDC for timing purposes - on a 1930's Austin - is largely academic - you set the thing with engine at TDC 'or thereabouts' and then fine tune on the road by ear. Half a degree either way makes no odds unless you're running a precariously tuned racer, and then you'll know what to do.

Still doesn't answer the question why some (at least 2!) flywheels were unmarked...
On my RN the TDC marks on the flywheel are at about 11o'clock when the engine is actually at TDC. I'm not sure where the reference point should be on the bell housing.
I made up a little pointer for the camshaft pulley and use that instead, works every time and allows me to use a strobe for fine timing adjustments.
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !