The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch repair
It is seldom that I dare to disagree with our esteemed Chairman, but talk of 3 foot bars worries me. Surely standing on a 1 foot bar will give a torque setting of your weight in ft.lbs? For example, me at 11 stone (I wish) standing on my 1 foot socket set bar will torque the nut to 154 ft.lbs.

The important thing is not to fit the split pin, think "job done" and then ignore it. I suggest that the halfshaft nuts (and BTW, the kingpin cotter nuts) should be regarded as 'service items' i.e. every time you go round the car with a grease gun then these nuts should be checked. In my experience of trialling (a fairly severe test of a back axle) the nuts could be done up a bit further a few times, but I haven't been able to move them any more for several years. If you keep checking them, then (IMHO) you don't need to fit the split pins.
There is no need to be worried in any way - a three foot bar is absolutely the correct thing to use, in this application, David.
Now David, if working on one’s 356 Porsche or Simca Gordini, should the length of the bar not be a metre, rather than this Porridgey three foot stuff?
Pullers always appreciate some assistance with a hammer. Trying to shift things using the bolt alone applies very large forces. Do the bolt up tight then hit it firmly with a hammer straight on the head. The impulse from the shock frees things.
Jim
Steve - we are not working on a 356 Porsche or Simca Gordini, we're working on Austin Sevens! So the length of the bar should definitely be specified in feet.