The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing Ulster body
Hi All,

I'm about ready to take the body(CC) off my 1930 chassis for some work on both chassis and body. I intend to take the steering wheel off, and the pad for the brake pedal(the other two pedals are completely removed). Wiring is mostly off or disconnected and engine and gear box are out. Is it possible to remove the body without removing the handbrake? If so, I assume lift up carefully at the rear and pull the body back, up and off. Correct?

Erich in Mukilteo
I think I'd rather have an assistant to make sure it will clear ... a body on each side will give a cleaner lift off.
I hung a 4" fence post horizontally from a block and tackle, by means of a staple screwed securely at its mid-point. The post was hung roughly above the windscreen position and across the car. I tied two loops of rope from one end of the post, under the body, and back to the other end of the post. The body was thus hanging in a 'cradle' of rope rather than pinched in a loop. I stuffed folded newspapers between rope and body to protect it.

With steering wheel removed but column and handbrake in situ, you can then stand behind the car and hoist the body up while easing the frame (handbrake off!) forward with a foot as it rises, in order to clear the steering column.

Hung at this point the body is slightly tail-heavy and can be directed with the hand which isn't heaving the pulley.

Have two wooden trestles at arm's length before you start. Once the column is clear boot the frame forward out of the way and slide the trestles under the steel floor.

Once the ropes were in place the lift took me 2 minutes 15 seconds, solo!
Thank you Chris. I intend to lift it off with the help of two other people. I appreciate the note about the handbrake as I wasn't sure I could leave it in situ.

Erich in Mukilteo