The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 speed in 3 speed gearbox
Hey Guys,

Saw this on ebay and wondered what the theory/ story is behind this kind of mod?

Austin seven " Works "gearbox.4speed in a 3speed box. Like Capt Waites box. | eBay

Cheers,
David
It was a common mod for the racing boys.
I think reverse was removed to make room for the fourth gear.
I hope someone with more knowledge will advise.
I did one yrs ago but the VSCC didn't like it as it wasn't a genuine works box " you have to have reverse" 1st is in reverse position 2nd was original 1st position the grooves in the 1st/2nd selector shaft have to be recut to align with the gears, I have a note of the ratios some where, sold it to a 750 club driver. Terry.
Thanks for the info, hadn't thought that the reverse gear would be excluded but would make sense for a race car.
    Back in 1981, four of the five Australia 'Raid' Austin 7's were fitted with Waite replica gearboxes. The Steinfort, Foster and John's cars box's were manufactured by Peter Holinger, a former Repco engineer then gearbox wiz. The project was more of a challenge for Peter rather than commercial. All he required from us was the bare housing and Hardy Spicer output flange. It was not long before I received a call suggesting that there was room for six speeds and not just the four we had requested. A great idea but would not have complied with the VSCC rules at the time. The other improvement you can see in the photo was a new longer imput housing designed to accomodate a four speed thrust race and retaining circlip groove.
The ratios chosen were from the gearbox Derek Jolly used when he brought his engine over to the Uk in the Colin Chapman racing days.  The gears and dog engagement were very similar to what Brineton Engineering now make for Vintage Bentleys and Bugattis, however they are not VSCC eligible. Fortunately Graeme Steinfort still has the 'Waite' gearbox so I guess he is still welcome to race back in the UK.
Not long our 1981 Raid the VSCC change the eligibility rules for Vintage Austin 7's, and the only change that affected our cars was the requirement that the centre line of the crankshaft had to be the centre line of the chassis.
Another amusing note ERA owner the late Bill Morris wrote a letter published in Motor Sport after listening to our cars at Prescott and our gear changing points, queried why the gate was marked R, 1,2 & 3. and why we started in reverse. The reply was no not reverse it stands for racing starts.
Tony Johns
Thanks for the tale Tony, really interesting read.
I particularly enjoyed the wit towards the end, certainly a much needed chuckle.
I'm also curious as to how it was determined that 6 gears would fit, I assume custom gears?
This is one of the reasons I enjoy earlier cars, the potential for private development and the stories behind it. (Part of the reason I prefer commentaries and 'how-it's-done' for films than the actual film itself).

Cheers,
David