The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Replica Tax Discs
If you want perforations I seem to remember you can use the small spiked wheel that sewing people use to make perforations in patterns for transferring the outlines to fabric with chalk dust  Smile
I bought from Greg some years ago and he completed the discs in an age authentic script for me in Indian ink to avoid fading (my handwriting being much too 70's) and as he knew what needed writing in which box for which year.
From talking to him my understanding was that there weren't any perforations during the A7 era and in any case the classic type of disc holder would hide any perforations behind the front screw lip.
In saying all that, not detracting from a very generous offer from Barry.
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
What year should be requested, should they be for the production year, or for the following year when the tax expires ?
Hi,

Firstly it seems tax discs always ran until the year end so if you taxed a car in October the disc would run until December the same year.   On the disc the annual rate of duty is shown but you only paid for the number of months left in the year.

I’ve also determined what I believe are the correct details to enter on the disc although I’m happy to be corrected.

On several original discs of the period the HP was entered as either 7.8 or 8 so I’ve decided to go with 8 which seems the more common.

The seat capacity and Unladen Weight have been just struck through which ties up with my recollection that even much later when discs were still hand written in the post office this information was only ever entered for commercial vehicles.

The Class, Mark and Colour are self explanatory, Class being Private for a normal passenger car.

The annual rate of duty was £1 / Horsepower from 1921 until it was reduced by 25% from 1935.  This means on the 1929 expiry disk I’m using the annual fee should be £8 but from 1935 it would be £6.

Hope this may help.

John.
Thanks John
That clarifies several queries I've had.

Barry Townsend
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
Just got my disc from Barry and I’m delighted, it looks terrific in its brass disc holder.
.......I’ve just realised that, in a long motoring life, this is the first time I have ever expressed pleasure in the possession of a new tax disc!
....I’ve just realised that, in a long motoring life, this is the first time I have ever expressed pleasure in the possession of a new tax disc!

When classic cars were given free tax disks I always took pleasure in taxing my old jalopies...

New Reply
All we need now is for someone to do replica Guinness labels....

;o)
(17-03-2021, 12:39 PM)John P Wrote: Firstly it seems tax discs always ran until the year end so if you taxed a car in October the disc would run until December the same year.   On the disc the annual rate of duty is shown but you only paid for the number of months left in the year.

Err, no I don't think so....

The replica tax discs are always dated December but the real ones were available for each month in turn

Here's the last issued tax disc for my Top Hat, issued on 7th July 1931 and expiring last day of September 1931. Tax was also available in smaller amounts then, certainly in 3 months chunks, maybe monthly?

.jpg   DSC_1028s.JPG (Size: 53.23 KB / Downloads: 98)
Just shows that however much you try to research something it always seems possible to get something wrong!

Since my earlier post I did find this:-

"The vehicle excise duty was first introduced in the United Kingdom in 1889, but the requirement to display a paper tax disc on the vehicle came into force on 1 January 1921.   Initially, tax discs were issued for one year (annual) to 31 December, or for three months (quarterly) to 24 March, 30 June, 30 September or 31 December."

Not sure how much I trust the internet now as the above contradicts other information on-line but it does seem to be supported by your genuine tax disc.

John.