The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
alternative radiators
I've got a Box saloon rad and everyone seems to be shortening and adapting these to fit a medium Sports cowl. But IF originality not an issue, what other options are there... without unnecessarily destroying a box rad? 
Mini and Maxi rads have been mentioned as being used in the past. 
Aluminium 2 row Min rads are a sniff over 50 quid. Would the volume cope, or thermosiphon work? Be interested to know what others have found/tried/discarded as bad ideas.
Reliant Regal?
Hi Jon

I guess it depends on how you are going to hook up the radiator to the engine!  If it’s a standard engine then the inlet outlet hose positions are pretty much fixed.  If you have a box rad it’s a pretty easy alteration to change the core and not too expensive.  It can always be re cored for a box cowl at a later date.

Cheers

Howard
Reliant Regal would be out on rarity these days, as per maxi - as you would end up having to recondition it too?

Howard - can one get away without altering the top tank outlet position though? I thought that needed to be centred.
Hi Jon

Ohhh not sure Jon. May be someone more knowledgeable can answer?

Cheers

Howard
Ruby radiators come up occasionally, and I think Rod Yates keeps a suitable tube for soldering to the header tank. You also have to solder a plate over the original filler position. The big advantage is that you know you are using a radiator designed for thermo-syphon circulation.
I fitted a radiator which turned out to be from a Wolseley 18/85 (Land Crab) to a special of mine.Only had a 6" between the top of the head and top of the radiator which worked fine.I did pressurise the system however.
The only time it boiled was when we supercharged it and the fan blades had come off.
I have A30 or A35 in my Nippy shell mounted in/on a frame (same size/shape shell as an Ulster).