The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine balancing
I have used Vibration Free at Bicester and was very impressed. They do a lot of VSCC work too.
I just use a localish race engine builder, although I took an assembly on holiday once and had it done in Barnstable. The crank nose will need an adaptor to mount on the balancing machine.
I would expext to pay two to three hours labour.
If you are quoted a huge amount it usually means its an F-O I cant be bothered quote and if you go ahead I wont care about the job.
Where in Barnstaple?
I picked up a crank and flywheel yesterday that I had balanced by CAS Engineering in Northalerton.  It usually takes about 2 hours work at £55 an hour.  My JB crank didn't require any metal removing, only a slight adjustment to the rim of the flywheel.
For those in the sunny south of England, I use Bassett Down Balancing in Hungerford on the Wiltshire/Berkshire border. They have relocated to an industrial unit off the station car park in the town centre from their former place near M4 J14.
About 6 weeks I had a phoenix crankshaft and flywheel/ clutch cover plate + rods balanced by Autosprint (Birmingham).

http://www.autosprint.co.uk/

The cost was £125. The crank did require some metal removing in spite Phoenix stating on their website that their crankshafts are 'dynamically balanced'. The service was prompt and efficient.
Autosprint was started in 1972 by Mr Geoff Dodds and so he has a lot of experience under his belt. In the past he has had employees but now does it all himself in workshop next to his house.
Good afternoon. Many thanks for the responses, I have taken the offer of a well known correspondent to these pages and will report back when the work is complete.

Thanks again,

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart
Hi Dennis,

I used Barum Engines. I was very happy with their work.
You will have seen my car at Wiscombe VSCC.

https://barumenginesltd.com/
I have also used T&L engineering in Elstow. They have done 2 Austin cranks and the much more complicated 90degree V6 Maserati engine. Excellent.
Jim