The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caption Competition
Bob writes  ,"It states "Use a wrench". I suppose this is what they mean."  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin any chinese heritage Bob?
Look darling, the picture on the front of this book is the same as the picture of us, so if you look carefully you'll see that the picture on the book in the picture on the book is.......and the picture on the book on the picture on the book on the picture on the book........now isn't that interesting, darling. Yawn.
"I wonder if I am holding the wrench the right way around. The book doesn't say ."

(i have met folk with that degree of technical savvy. Although it has just occurred that nowadays many may not be familiar with pipe wrenches and their unique characteristics. I have wrenches which belonged to my granfdafther and well over 100 years old. Sad these will probably end up in an op shop for $2 or so)
It says here to tighten nuts turn the wrench to the right... so, if I twist it like this....
Cynthia- I believe it is showing me the wight way to hold a wench  Shy
You get it Tony, I was a bit esoteric, and was referring to the chinese propensity for dropping their  R's. Bob it seems was not reading from this playbook.
Yes Squeak you initially lost me (although I have often been reprimanded for using the expression "wench", usually leading to reference to several dictionaries.)

I suppose it is still just possible some do not realise that he is holding a plumbers pipe wrench, very imappropriate for most car uses, and with the intriguing property that it only grips when rotated one way, and he has it wrong way around for tightening, unless threaded toward him..
I suppose the illustration proves the quality of motoring journalists has not changed much over the years.
Agreed. A look under any bonnet would have got a more realistic engine. Then nearly all the same.  Suspect he found a picture of the wrench in a Roebuck catalogue or somesuch. I presume the classic Crescent had arrived by then. Now becoming so scarce people are starting to call them shifting spanners! American tools of the era were noted for quality.
Curious to know if the text was better. many old motoring books conatin a lot of twaddle, including our favourite Nicholson.
I think it looks like a Stillson type wrench..... (Stilson??)