The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caption Competition
More of a classic Monkey than a Stilson pipe wrench IMHO

Attached Files
.jpg   s-l225.jpg (Size: 3.53 KB / Downloads: 181)
.jpg   s-l225-1.jpg (Size: 4.31 KB / Downloads: 179)
OK ....the artistic licence won't know the difference!
You are confusing me Duncan, I would call the one on the left a Stilson wrench, or a pipe wrench. To me the one on the right is an adjustable spanner.
The one on the left is a Stillson, named after the American inventor who was awarded a patent, long expired.
The one on the right is what I've always known as a Monkey wrench or adjustable spanner. I try to avoid them as they have a habit of rounding off nuts (ooh er Missus).
Is this where the name comes from, to make it more comfortable for monkeys to hide nuts? Or was there an inventor called Monkey?
Hi Duncan
I have never seen one as the right. Any idea of age? The more common F spanners are awkward to use but have the merit of opening very wide and handy for some plumbing and other odd jobs like A7 rear bearing nuts. I seem to have acquired several from deceased ancestors so one or two can be sacrificed and hammered etc. The monkey wrench looks tedious to adjust and presumably cannot cover much range as the thread has to be absorbed. I have a small 14" Stllson ex my grandfather who was a plumber in UK before 1900 but emigrated in stages via SA soon after and would date from before 1920. It has a wooden handle as your wrench and is very like the cover.
My son as most moderns takes little interest. He knows if needs one can buy a Chines one new for just $30 or so (L15) and avoid half a day hunting through my hoards and keep his brain uncluttered..
One on right is a english spanner
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?