The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cycle wings for a Special
Hi Derek, like Howard I beat some out. I didn't have access to a decent English wheel so made a very crude one using a couple of cast wheels from an old trolley jack. It worked surprisingly well although the finish without decent wheels was limited. Interesting to do and didn't take too long. (I have some pictures if of interest)That said £25 for one ready made is a very good price indeed!
A pair of 'Stumpi's' wings fitted. Length and width is, within reason, whatever you require.

.jpg   Steve RR.jpg (Size: 51.01 KB / Downloads: 372)

Steve
I have Stumpi wings on both the Ulster rep and the Pytchley saloon.  They are easy to shape, very light and if you bend one it will not break the bank.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I'm starting to think that they could look very good on the Woodie, and cut a lot of weight! Malcolm - how have you covered the inner guard area on the rears, which would normally benefit from a bit more overlapping metal shroud of the original type wing?

Steve - how are your fronts attached? Are there many who are attaching light wings to hubs/backplates like Howard's?
May I suggest not to have those wings made 'too short' i.e. have them extending far enough at the back of the wheels otherwise you'll be spraying you good self with debris (if not a sprout of all sorts) all the time (unfortunately  I cannot attach a picture of my car as the system says it is too large to attach...)
I have used rather longer wings on my Ulster rep than Steve but in wet weather you still get muck thrown up from the front wheels, especially in my part of the world.  Since the photo of the Pytchley was taken, I have recently added some simple mud flaps to the front wings, located by the two bolts that fix the wing to the stay.   At the rear of the Pytchley, the wings were made quite long. There is only a small area between the wing and the fuel tank which is open.  I don't think it warrants having a valance fitted.
The rear wings were made without the pressed swaging for that part which would be in the wheel-arch, so they could be bolted on without leaving a gap beneath.  Also, Stumpi kindly made the front end of the wings with squarish corners whilst the rear ends are pointed.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I think this shows how my front wings are attached.

Yes, in the wet they do allow some spray past but they were made to the minimum size permitted by the regulations I work to which was the most important factor. In reality, it's no big issue. They're there because the car has to have some, not for their functional efficiency.

Steve
Just a little tip.  Bicycle front forks provide a nice oval and curved tube for the front front-wing mounts; just needs a flat plate welding on body end......looks much nicer than square box tube.  Rear framework also provides nice round thinish tapered section for rear of wing.   At the wing I either just beat the tube flat and curved to fit under wing or welded on a suitable shaped flat bar.
Further, luxury, mod is to make wing stays telescopic so can use different size wheels.  19 inch for trials (MCC), 16 inch would be preferred for road but gave up years ago when sensible size/cost became impossible; 15 inch now used for road.
(2CV rims with centre cut out and spoked to A7 centre and wider 15 from Peugeot also centre cut and spoked to 7 hub).  That allowed suitably thin 15 " tyres front and slightly larger for rear easily available and normal prices....(don't think 2CVs are going to disappear). The rim dimpling and spoke lacing was done many many years ago by a man that used to do motorcycle wheels.  Please don't cry - but £15 for doing 5 complete with powder coating done by his mate.....in the very early days when powder was just starting).
!5 on the Nippy looks a bit small, but 19 at any fast speed is a bit hairy.

Dennis (picture above is with the 15....Beaulieu driving tests)