The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another nice period picture
I'm not sure whether I am posting from the perspective of Archivist or as an individual.

I do share some of Bystander's concerns. I have already come across a photo published in another old car forum that claimed authenticity. It was subsequently shown to be a modern manipulation of a period photo... The chap who published it had no idea it had been manipulated and believed it to be genuine...

Actually, I do think there is some need for care here..

Hugh
(05-03-2021, 10:20 AM)Archivist Wrote: I'm not sure whether I am posting from the perspective of Archivist or as an individual.

I do share some of Bystander's concerns. I have already come across a photo published in another old car forum that claimed authenticity. It was subsequently shown to be a modern manipulation of a period photo... The chap who published it had no idea it had been manipulated and believed it to be genuine...

Actually, I do think there is some need for care here..

Hugh

Fair enough Hugh — but I hope we continue to see images from different ages which show what we’ve lost eg softer landscapes, marled roads and houses in a state of decay against tarmac roads, power lines and disappearing doors.
I agree that historic images are too easily 'doctored' these days, but I don't think Tony's chummy on the Google Streetview is going to fool anyone.
Indeed Charles - period photos are a must. I guess we all have an interest in 'history' as a result of owning our cars - and the images of the cars being used in the 20s and 30s I absolutely love. The particular photo that started this thread being a case in point..

As I have said here before, this is part of the Archive collection which is sadly lacking and I am trying my upmost to enhance the collection in that area. Any pointers to such photos being sold will be gladly received...
Believe me, I'm no expert on Photoshop - the latest version is an immensely complex thing to get to grips with - so I only fiddle about at the edges of what's possible. There are all sorts of magic shortcuts, but they rarely work as well as careful handwork. Still, by pinching a part-finished image with most of the legwork done, it is possible to come up with some interesting stuff. "Here's my betrothed in his new car. It's bigger than yours - so push off, Archi."

Attached Files
.jpg   zxzxzx.jpg (Size: 330.83 KB / Downloads: 137)
Now you've done it! That will turn up on Facebook in a couple of years time as a newly-discovered photo of a rare 12/16 Rolls Canardly.
Not trying to compete with Tony but thought I'd put this one on - taken in about 1936....apparently...

Splendid. Perhaps I should start a Photoshop category in the Gallery!.
(05-03-2021, 06:18 PM)Nick Salmon Wrote: Not trying to compete with Tony but thought I'd put this one on - taken in about 1936....apparently...

Can't be. That AA badge is post war Wink

Steve
My fabric-materials-expert wife says the dress is rayon and not silk or cotton - to she's been time travelling!