The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supercharged Ulster
In the late '60s a local production car trial started from behind the village garage in Feckenham, Worcestershire, and while we were waiting an Ulster came out of a shed and was driven away by a young lad.  In later negotiations I almost managed to buy the Ulster's exhaust manifold for my Special as the owner wanted a "more proficient" bunch-of-bananas manifold.  But it then transpired that the car belonged to his father, veteran car enthusiast Chester Smith and would probably go into his new museum in Pembroke.  I believe the son later died in a car accident.  Don't remember the Ulster registration or colour but it was probably the car for sale.
(04-03-2021, 01:10 PM)Robin Boyce Wrote: In the late '60s a local production car trial started from behind the village garage in Feckenham, Worcestershire, and while we were waiting an Ulster came out of a shed and was driven away by a young lad.  In later negotiations I almost managed to buy the Ulster's exhaust manifold for my Special as the owner wanted a "more proficient" bunch-of-bananas manifold.  But it then transpired that the car belonged to his father, veteran car enthusiast Chester Smith and would probably go into his new museum in Pembroke.  I believe the son later died in a car accident.  Don't remember the Ulster registration or colour but it was probably the car for sale.

Yes it was the same car. We heard that the son had died.
Some more about JF 322....

This photo recently appeared on Facebook, I guess it's the Chester Smith family. Strangely, someone seems to have been rubbed out!

.jpg   JF 322.jpg (Size: 64.76 KB / Downloads: 281)  

This post card features the car

The auction

.png   Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 16.16.01.png (Size: 758.21 KB / Downloads: 282)
I thought that it was quite good value in view of replicas being advertised at just 5-10 grand cheaper. Henry do you have any more details re. The Sotheby's Auction Catalogue?