The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rear axle Banjo case
I have as a spare that came with a 1928RK and a 1932 AG, an axle case with  torque tube with a pinion and a 22.25" long prop shaft including a Hardy Spicer coupling.  There is a number on the banjo "3338". I haven't cleaned all the grease etc off the banjo, but cannot see any other obvious numbers. there is also what appears to be a new Crown wheel with 45 (44? I have to re-count!) teeth the numbers on the side of the CW are indistinct. There is also a used half shaft approx 23 5/8" long that didn't fit the AG, so I think it may fit the RK? ) .892" dia at the gear.
Any ideas?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Torque tube and banjo is from a late 29 through 1930 screw in torque tube rear axle. These always had a 9/44 CW & P setup AFAIK.

Edit: the Half shaft is for a long chassis car.
As mentioned the banjo and torque tube are indeed the much maligned (in years gone by) screw in torque tube type. I’ve used them for years on both my wife’s ‘29 Chum (original) and various sports/ racing versions without problem, and they are the easiest of all axles to set up and adjust. The only thing one must do is to keep an eye on any developing backlash and adjust as necessary. I think the back lash can develop more quickly than on other types due to end thrust being taken on the thin end section screw in torque tube end via the thrust bearing. I don’t think ratios other than the 4.9 can be fiddled into this design. Only ever one failure, on the high mileage Chum, in over 50 years of hard usage.
Thanks! No long chassis in my collection! The RK and An AG came together with some spares, the other AG was the Hong Kong to California to Ohio car and came with the half shaft (and a broken one I didn't know about! I can't remember the prop shaft...I think with the RK....
Anyone need a half shaft ( I have a Woodruff key as wel)l..... the taper looks unmolested, the keyway a bit battered, but ok.
So the cw, tt & banjo were spares for the RK...there is also a planet gear!
What did the prop shaft come from and why?!
My AG with its 4 speed box etc has an apparently similar shaft, but this did not come over with it from USA.
D
Dave H.  I'd be surprised if, having scraped everything away, that you don't find more details on the banjo, as I've never seen a diff that didn't have stamped the date (day, month, year) also other numbers.  They include the 3338 you quoted which indicates the diff' numbers that re-commence with 1 from any change in design, the numbers (eg 4/44) which indicate the original cw & p, and if another letter & number's there it shows whoverput it together on the assembly line.  Hope this helps others too.   Cheers,  Bill in Oz
I will have a deeper delve 
Certainly my other cars all had sort of visible numbers!
Hi David

The numbers on my diff are stamped on the plate at the back of the diff.  Perhaps your plate has been put on the wrong way round and the numbers are inside the diff? 

Cheers

Howard
I have delved! there are indeed more numbers! 4  6  29 and 9/44. the pinion indeed has 9 teeth ( a couple have small chips at the inside of the base of the tooth  (if that makes sense). Pretty useable though. The other number may be 3336. So if anyone is interested there is an axle case, with torque tube and mounting together with a new (I think) CWP. sitting here (Stratford upon Avon) looking for a home ....and what I am told is an LWB half shaft.
My 1930 chummy had a screw-in torque tube and lasted ten years of entertainingly vigorous use without failure or even adjustment being needed. Now that I have the car back, that axle is no longer with it - perhaps the new owner managed to finish off what I'd started?
This axle went out with other spares in an RK saloon to California where it was not used....so it has at least 25 years less than it's age!