The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering
A small adjustment on the front shock absorber central nut can make a big difference to the amount of wandering.
Interesting comment about shock absorber.
Any idea whether more or less damping is appropriate?
Too much damping makes the suspension harsh. Too little makes it bouncy.
The best way to stop wandering is to improve the sideways location of the front axle. There is very little in the standard set up
This can be done in several ways. We have inserted rubber cushions made from road tyres in the front shackles. Cheap & easy. One of the front shock absorber arms can be attached directly to the axle by removing the alloy link. This works better on lowered suspension when the arm lines up with the pin in the axle. Some reinforcement of the arm is needed.
Our car drives very well. No wandering even over rough surfaces at speed.
Jim
Hi Tiger

It could be worth checking the ride height of the car.  The top of the chassis rails should be about level.  If they rise towards the rear (the car is riding high at the back) then the castor angle on the front hubs will be reduced.  It should be about 5 degrees. Little or negative castor gives rise to no self centring and wandering.

Cheers

Howard
I'm speaking from my own experience - Alice started wandering all over the road, I tightenened the front shocks a bit, and the car went in the approximate straight line I was used to.

I was lucky it wasn't one of the many other things mentioned.

A very simple fix, worth trying first.
The usual suggestions, as long since adopted by myself, are, at the front, the improved shock with separate location of arms, available from David Cochrane. At the rear, add shortened valve springs inside the shock springs. Thus improved, even a Ruby goes more or less where it is pointed.
Interesting point about the castor angle with a raised tail end. When I fitted new springs last year the tail went from sloping down (bottoming out on bumps) to a much more pleasing slight upward stance and I think (?) I noticed a difference in the self centring of the steering.
If I find that I need to, how does one go about adjusting the castor angle? Or, should I fit new a front spring to match the rear?
Hi Duncan

Try this thread.

https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...s#pid52441

Cheers

Howard
Useful pointer, thanks Howard.