The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Competition orange paint code
Please does anyone know the RAL code for the orange paint used on some factory Austin 7 competition cars? It looks pretty similar to the orange of Stihl garden equipment, which I think is RAL 2004.
Thanks
Alan
Some advice was: there were various, and the "Chrome Orange" that Freddie March said was what the factory used (conversation with Chris Gould) indeed comes in several shades. There is a bit of discussion on RAL shades here: https://ulster7.wordpress.com/2021/02/26...iscussion/
Hi alan,

I may be wrong, but always got told the paint codes are lost or dont have them?

If they are not available.

You will have to guess, as I Did.

I wanted to paint our 1927 chummy in racing orange "blood orange" and I did paint it as close to what I believed blood orange was?

But when talking to non and even many austin 7 people. I suggested the colour was blood orange. They didnt have a clue.

So now everyone gets told its MACLAREN ORANGE Big Grin

Now it gets a reaction, 99% good.

Tony.
Thanks Jon & Tony,

Very useful responses. Much food for thought.

Alan
S C H Davis, who drove the 500-Mile Race winner, always described the car as 'blood orange red', which suggests to me that it may well have been a vermilion red rather than a true orange.
I'm glad I left the German in on that RAL chart - there it is - blutorange - RAL 2002!

Mike has advised elsewhere about the photographs of all these cars in their day, and the issues with pre-panchromatic film. Ed Waugh has been doing some amazing computery things with black and white images to give suggestions of what may be original colours, presumably from references to known things like skin or sky through various programmes. But the simple fact is that it is throwing wild cards for some, while giving forensic, cross-referenceable, perfect results on others. That Davis car comes out almost black at present...
Reported spammer