The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Police stop and search 1939
Came across this photo on a fascinating Twitter thread about the history of policing in London. Some amazing images and stories https://twitter.com/squaremileplod

The caption reads "January 1939, security is heightened due to an IRA campaign - City of London Police conducting a vehicle stop check next to the Mansion House."

Hard to make out the reg number. Might be CKD347? Not on the register

That reminds me of when I was stopped by the Police in the early 1960s, they were more interested in the car than me.
In the seventies, returning home at night in my MGBGTV8 I was closely followed by a car for some miles which, as I was about to turn right into my drive, overtook me. It turned out to be a police car. The officer eventually worked out where I'd gone, returning to park up on the drive and immediately spotted my Ruby sat under the car port. An animated conversation ensued as to his boss having one and how wonderful he thought Sevens were etc, etc. Eventually, leaving with a grin on his face, he suggested I keep my speed down in future.
PS: The Mansion House scene today at Walbrook is little changed from 1939.
I was stopped doing 34mph in Cambridge many years ago. The policeman said "Were you listening to the Test Match?". I replied that I was. He said "What's the score?".
End of conversation.
Jim
Back in the early 1970’s, a group of us had arranged to meet one winter Saturday night in our ‘local’ and then go on to a club on the other side of town where they had a ‘turn’ on. On of our number had a Hillman estate with a column change and a full width front bench seat on which his then girl friend used to more lie than sit! He also had quite a reputation for getting pulled by the Police but always being let off or talking his way out of what ever he’d done. This particular night was cold and wet as we set off, my Hillman friend in the lead, me following. As we drove along, a Police car pulled out of a side road and fitted in between my pal and me. My pal, thinking the car behind him was me speeded up, the Police car speeded up and this carried on until the two of them went round St. Michael’s roundabout all but on two wheels. Watching from behind at a safe distance I could see this might not end well. Sure enough, 300 yards further on, the Police car lit his blue lights and siren and pulled my pal over. As we went past we thought they’ve got him this time, he’ll not talk his way out of that and we carried on to the club.  Half an hour or so later, pal and girlfriend arrive at the club. Turns out the Policeman had said that the list of offences was massive however he wasn’t going to report him as ‘The way you drive, by the time your case comes up you’ll be dead. Tell your Girlfriend to sit on her own side of the car and be on your way.’ We couldn't help thinking that the cold, wet night and the fact that he must be approaching the end of his shift had been more of an influencing factor!

Steve
In the late 50's the co owner of our 1931 Seven saloon (which had it's roof chopped off, no hood) was driving up to London from Sandhurst and was pressing on up near Heathrow when he was overtaken & flagged down by a motorcycle cop. He had a bit of a panic as although the car was taxed & insured he was doing well over the limit (and he only had a provisional licence....)! The policeman, however, turned out to be another Seven owner and pulled him over to see how /why the car was going so briskly! I recall it did have a very large updraft carburettor and added lightness without the roof, but it was mostly the enthusiasm of youth I suspect. After looking under the bonnet together he was ticked off for going too fast & sent on his way.
I recall bouncing the front tyres off the back of a London Taxi that stopped unwisely suddenly in Trafalgar Square...not a mark on the cab to my relief, I think the cab had those curved spring shaped bumpers.
Different times.....
In the 70's, I was with my brother in his special in Bridgnorth when the Jag XJ6 in front executed a smart stop and we in best A7 fashion didn't. The front wheels hit the XJ6 bumpers and we rebounded to a suitable distance. The driver got out of the XJ6, walked between the cars and observing that the only damage was 2 clean patches on his rear bumper, got back in the Jag and drove on all without saying a word.
I had an interesting incident on that precise spot.
My friend and I ran out of money at a basement club in Covent Garden- we had intended to get a cab.
So we both got on my pushbike at about 3am, sharing the pedalling.
As we came past the Mansion House a policeman stepped out and held up his hand.
The bike didn't have much in the way of brakes, we managed not to hit him, veered past and came to a halt against the kerb. He strolled over to us- clearly delighted.
"Well well well, I thought that was a f******* camel coming down the road. Whose bike is this?"
I stuck my head over my mates shoulder- his turn to pedal, and said "It's mine officer".
"And what's he your f****** manservant?- get off it and walk the rest of the way!"

I think the world has changed since then.
On the other side of the coin, in the early 1970s I was patrolling with my mate in Rotherham when we came across a woman driving a Ford Cortina Mk1 very slowly, with what appeared to be a very bulbous bonnet. Anxious to ascertain the cause of said defect we required the vehicle to stop and asked the nice lady why her bonnet was in such an elevated state. Not being particularly knowledgeable in the ways of the automotive world she had no idea, stating that it was her husband's car and she'd only borrowed it for the day (never heard that one before). My fellow officer, still posessed with abject curiosity (does this sound like an evidential statement) asked the Lady if she would be so kind as to open the bonnet. Not being aware of how to do, so my colleage offered to help, taking a firm hold of the bonnet release cable under the dashboard. On doing so there was a mighty bang and crash, the bonnet flew open colliding with and smashing the windscreen and the front of the car collapsed on the ground in a cloud of dust! We then discovered that both front Macpherson struts had completely rusted through the inner wings and the bonnet was the only thing that was holding the car together. It was a shame t'was my colleague what had pulled the cable your Worship otherwise the dear Lady might have been here today, summoned for a dangerous vehicle. We decided that as no-one had been injured or inconvenienced that after taking down her particulars (ooh matron!) she was advised to contact a nearby scrap metal company to arrange for its removal and subsequent disposal. We then resumed patrol in anticipation of our mid-shift fry-up at the Police canteen.

Over.