The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solid state regulator for mag engine dynamo
Good morning! Asking for a friend who is building a Boulogne replica/special. He would like to use a solid state regulator hidden under the dash and make a dummy CAV cutout to fit in the engine bay. Has anyone had experience of this for the early 6v dynamo? He will be keeping it at 6v. I fitted one on my RN when I converted it to 12v. It has been working well for the last 17 or so years. I see on various websites they are available for classic bikes (6v or 12v). Are they any good?
All ideas very welcome.
Thanks,
Dave.
I've been using solid state regulators on our 12 volt RNs since 1990, at £5.00 each I bought two for each car one to fit one as a spare and have had one failure in 79000 miles. Sorry no experience on earlier dynamos.
I found this a well written step-by-step article about use of solid state regulators - albeit concerning motorbikes.

https://www.matchlessclueless.com/electr...placement/
I found that link very useful Nick, especially the section on checking the dynamo. I am thus encouraged to find out why my dynamo isn't charging.
When I get out of compulsory Covid Hotel quarantine that is. Sad
Dave, what solid state regulator are you using?
Is that general Covid lockdown Russell or are you isolating yourselves? Hope all is well.
All is well thanks Nick, I had to cross state lines and there was a covid outbreak there whilst I was away. Upon returning I face a 2 week compulsory hotel lockup at $200/day.  Still better than being sick!
Hi Henry,
I have emailed my mate who is building the car and an A7 friend has suggested someone who may be able to build one for him. We will see how this pans out first. I will report back when my mate decides.
Cheers,
Dave.
(24-02-2021, 06:41 PM)Dave Wortley Wrote: Hi Henry,
I have emailed my mate who is building the car and an A7 friend has suggested someone who may be able to build one for him. We will see how this pans out first. I will report back when my mate decides.
Cheers,
Dave.

Dave Wortley, sorry, my comment was addressed to Dave Mann!
That's ok Henry. Every other.bloke (and dog) is called Dave.