The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knocking noise Torque Tube?
Maybe the lower ball mounting bolts are loose, a small movement down there would be magnified at the top.

The spring pins need checking, though, if you really can move it that much.
If there is marked side to side movement of the torque tube then I would have a good look at the rear springs as there could be a broken leaf.

Play in the chassis ball mount is usually the primary source of clonking. This can be adjusted by the large nut at the bottom of the housing, and by shims if you've run out of thread.

The castellated ring at the rear of the spherical mount does allow for adjustment at the top of the housing - the locking bolt should be removed and then the ring turned clockwise relative to the front of the car to take up any slack. If you are adjusting, don't overtighten. As said, many cars are already at the limit of that adjustment (mine included) so sometimes you just have to live with it.

It is possible to machine some metal off the housing to allow the adjuster more room but it involves a bit of dismantling.
Thanks for all the advice, I will update the thread once I’ve got the carrier sorted, the suggestion about the handbrake lever being the culprit is also a possibility, cheers Peter