The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three more
How is the Seven forum in danger of straying into Shakespearean costume comments. Doublet and hose would be quite enough, let’s have no codpieces on a Sunday night.
What a handsome family.

Very pensive but fashionable mother ? with cigarette in hand as well as those pretty tights .
Perhaps mothers pensively thinking that although his austin can have new step plates, she can't have a new hat!
Nice pictures Robert.
Let me contribute to the file with this shot in  year 1947. The baby in arms is me, mum and older brothers.

Bert

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(21-02-2021, 10:50 PM)Steve kay Wrote: How is the Seven forum in danger of straying into Shakespearean costume comments. Doublet and hose would be quite enough, let’s have no codpieces on a Sunday night.

Just for the record;  cod pieces were not fashionable in Elizabethan England compared with Medieval times and if present were very much reduced.

Stockings and socks were worn by ladies in both times, not tights. Early on in the 16th century these would have been stitched linen or woollen hose. Silk stockings were introduced later and were knitted originally but by the end of the century a machine had been invented. Drawers were not worn.
(22-02-2021, 06:08 PM)Chris Garner Wrote: Just for the record;  cod pieces were not fashionable in Elizabethan England compared with Medieval times and if present were very much reduced.Stockings and socks were worn by ladies in both times, not tights. Early on in the 16th century these would have been stitched linen or woollen hose. Silk stockings were introduced later and were knitted originally but by the end of the century a machine had been invented. Drawers were not worn.

The breadth and depth of your knowledge never ceases to amaze me, Chris! Wink Wink
Steve
Chris,

This is not good to read - when costuming Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are dead for an A level Theatre Studies portfolio I used enormous cod pieces, what a waste...
Of the Black Adder 'Black Russian' proportions perchance...
The lady in the original does not look too happy. Perhaps she considered her looks and fashion sense warranted a Bentley or somesuch.
Some of our family photos the subjects look a bit bored. But my Dad used to pace out the distance and ponder the settings so it all took a while. And even box Brownie owners often took a while to find the subject in the tiny viewfinder.