The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accu spark
The dates I gave are very approximate. As a student in the 70's, my 1966 Renault had stuff marked "Bougicord" which was inductive, a friend's 1967 Austin Mini had copper leads with those Lucas right angle plug cap suppressor resistors, other folks with 1960's Fords were "enjoying" carbon string leads.

The carbon brush between distrubutor cap and rotor arm is only tens of ohms and doesn't really add any suppression, it's primarily there as a low friction contact. Some rotor arms on the other hand (especially Bosch) do have suppressor resistors built in, often potted in resin. These are prone to go open circuit.

Any time you introduce an extra series air gap into the HT circuit, it robs some HT voltage to make it arc over. The gap between rotor arm and distributor cap isn't too bad, as it's a very small gap (maybe 20 thou ?) and only under atmospheric pressure. Get a gap in a carbon string lead and it can grow longer and longer until there's not enough HT left to fire the plug.

Before making my "home made" suppressors, I ordered four of the Lucas right angle types, of new manufacture and from an established supplier. One measured 6000 ohms, two about 10000 ohms and the last was open circuit. They went straight in the bin !
I got carbon leads for our Austin. At the time I was getting new leads for a Maserati engine and asked the supplier if he could supply black ones for the Austin.
Very kindly he put in 5 extra leads for the Austin. These are high-performance leads and large diameter than standard ones. The fit the acorns properly. Modern leads are smaller diameter than the originals. We had continual problems with HT leads breaking close to the acorns Through being flexed excessively.
I fitted the carbon core leads by using the single earth core cut from mains wiring. this is a tight fit if pushed into the centre of the lead. It is then bent over and a ring formed in the end to contact inside the acorn socket. They've worked fine for 4,000 miles.
Fuzzy picture attached!

.jpg   Lead.jpg (Size: 126.71 KB / Downloads: 121)
Jim