The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late axle shaft variants
Can anyone please clarify. I gather the last Sevens had shafts with a longer taper but same dia (.890 inches) I have seen thicker shafts of two lengths, presumably from Big Seven. What exactly did the Big Sevens have? I ahve a Big Seven diff assy and was considering souveniring the shafts with a view to turning  for Seven but am curious how much alteration involved. It is all caked in grease and do not wish to dismantle needlessly.
Not sure it answers your question, but...

The spare halfshaft I have here is for a very late Ruby (from Chassis No. 286571) heavy axle is 24 1/8" long. I presume those for Big Sevens are longer?

This one is about 1" in diameter - 1015 thou close to the gear, and about 970 thou along the rest of the length to the taper.
(Apparently, this diameter appeared on Big Sevens at Chassis No. 5687, and then intermittently for a while, and permanently from 7841 in March 1938. Previously it was the same as the Ruby of the time at 890 thou close to the gear.)

The taper on this shaft for a heavy axle is about 2" long. The keyway is 1 7/16" in length and 7/32" wide.
Spare shafts Ruby 2 ft 1/4"  Big 7 2 ft 1" Not sure how but Big 7 axle is about 3" wider. Pete

Photos

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks fellahs
Of the axles I possess, including the Austin originals with 110000 miles, although look OK, all show small cracks in the keyway when tested with fluid. I had a Big 7 diff stored remotely and it occurred that if shafts same as late Seven, perhaps axles and hubs could be utilised. Anyway it turned out to have the larger axles and I am past the patience to turn down.
The local VCC had very rusty heavy shafts of two lengths which totally mystified me and the above explains.

Can in fact the later Seven long taper thin axles and hubs be directly interchanged into earlier haousings.?
It is similarly difficult to find hubs which are not excessively worn or lapped. A bearing at the ends only is necessary (and possibly preferable, as later flywheels). Anyone built up and turned out?
Sevens are not absurdly valuable here so less inclined to spend up!
The hubs and bearings at both ends on the shaft are bigger so the axle tube is larger with a bigger nut to to hold the bearing onto the tube inside the hub. Pete
Photos of tube ends, Light and heavy axle

Try again
Again

3rd time of trying

3rd time of trying

3rd time of trying

Light axle tube and heavy axle tube. Same for both variants on Ruby or Big 7.

Light axle tube and heavy axle tube. Same for both variants on Ruby or Big 7.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)