The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing rear springs
I wonder if the induction heater tool would help? Ruairidh may have tried with his?
Why not try Ken Cooke's (I think it was Ken...) method for lossening rear springs? Undo or loosen the nut, and go for a fifty mile drive...
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
I think if yiou look at the photos the chassis is missing a car to drive it about.
Mr Warm Spanner sounds a bit on the wimpy side to me for this project, I'd prefer to reach for Torchy McTorchface...

When I did my springs last Spring I used a lump hammer and a bar through the eye to shoogle the things loose but fortunately there was nothing like the amount of rust-weld your springs show.
Good luck, put your gloves on BEFORE you start !
All the suggestions I have read in this thread are potentially useful in an appropriate situation, so thanks to all. In my case I have a broken main leaf on a rear spring, and since it happened in Tetbury it seemed sensible to get rescued to home near Cambridge. I am at the stage where the car is on stands, the back bit of spring is removed from the axle, the main bolt and the 'U' bolt are both removed (after cutting a hole in the floor), but the main part of the spring has not started moving despite what I hope was suitable brutality. I know that penetrating oil may do some good, but I haven't got a long time to wait as I am old! Is it just a matter of perseverence or does anybody have a further useful and effective suggestion please. I know that the springs have not been interfered with for at least 60 years, but in reality that could be 95 years.
Hi Robert

You really need to be brutal.

I threaded a 30mm square hollow section through the chassis and used a large sledge hammer to shift my spring.  Here is a photo of the hollow section once the spring came out!

Cheers

Howard

.jpeg   IMG_1918.jpeg (Size: 52.35 KB / Downloads: 283)
.jpeg   IMG_1917.jpeg (Size: 48.85 KB / Downloads: 282)
I found a bit of ally box section in the back of the workshop that fitted over the springs. A good wiggle left to right and up and down and the springs come out, Biggest issue was holding the car down. If i had a second bit of box I would hace had a lovely wheelbarrow.
Removal has been achieved thanks to perseverence, two good friends, the right bar to fit in the chassis and many blows on it with a sledge hammer. I can see now that my springs are differently set from the spare ones available to me. To avoid going through a repeat excercise on the other side I am hoping to find another spring from which I can rob the main leaf. My springs have square ended leaves and prior to breakage the back of the car sat quite high. The square ended leaves are not a requirement because it is irrelevant to the main leaf.
Hi Robert. Are you asking for a single main leaf? I can send one to you... I am probably a little in your debt! Roughly how much camber does the other side have unloaded? Ring me if it's easier.
Thanks again for the offer, Nick. As I told you I was spoilt for choice and finally chose a spring from five; it had the nearest curve to my old spring but I felt it was not near enough. By taking the main leaf and bending it cold I assembled it with the rest of my old spring, giving an assembly which fitted together snugly and seemed to have exactly the profile I had before breakage. I have been progressing with other jobs which turned up during dismantling, in particular welding cracks in the floor which I had not been aware of, and cleaning and painting the usually unseen bits which are now accessible. Hopefully I will have a better car after all this.