The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Towing point Motorsport UK Suggestions??
Motorsport UK have changed the regs re towing points.

10.2.15. It is recommended that suitable towing point(s) on all cars shall be clearly identified, and suitably marked, using a contrasting bright colour, accessible from the front and rear. 

10.2.15. Towing point(s) of adequate strength and size are mandatory. They must be clearly identified and suitably marked
using a contrasting colour and be accessible to the front and rear of the vehicle.

I think I can fit a towing eye similar to the military tourer does any one have details of it off the car?  But any thoughts on the rear of the car back axle where the springs connect, not ideal but may be the best solution may also foul the body work depending on the height of the tow on the tow vehicle?!

.jpg   A7 Towing Eye.jpg (Size: 13.13 KB / Downloads: 352)
Hi Douglas,
My understanding is that Period Defined A to F do not need a specific 'eye' but just a clearly identified area to attach to. Marked with a contrasting paint colour/tape or similar.
Is that your understanding as well?

Paul N-M
There is no Period Exemption for Towing Points in the 2021 Blue Book (S.10.2.15). However, it specifically says 'Towing Points', not 'Towing Eyes' or 'Towing Straps' etc. It could be argued that a marked location on a visible Seven front axle is a 'Towing Point'. Like many, I've already got my front axle marked with yellow tape (and have had for a long time) so all I think I need is a sticker saying 'Tow' (which I have). However, I'd be happier if this could be confirmed as complying before turning up at my first event in 2021 and finding it isn't!

A Towing Point for the rear is something rather more difficult, certainly on an Ulster, because so little of the rear axle is visible.

Steve
I have two towing points marked in yellow paint adjacent to the rear spring points. I kind of work on the principal that if I need a rear end tow that’s going to be the least of my worries.
Alan Fairless
The regs say towing points not eye, the regs wording is in my first post, I just spotted the military towing eye and though it might be the only solution for me as my suspension is in the way.  Not my design just as the car was when I got it.

For the rear I think I will go with tow stickers where the spring joins the axle, and as Alan says if they need to tow from the rear there are probably bigger problems.

But I should say this is the regs for sprints and hill climbs, the regs for circuit is slightly different. But may be why some thought there was an exemption. Circuit regs below, I believe the requirement is the same but the wording may be open to debate.

There must be substantial towing eyes securely fixed to the main structure of the vehicle, front and rear, within the confines of the body to enable the vehicle to be moved. Cars of periods A to F and single seater racing cars are exempt from this requirement subject to a suitable towing point being clearly identified. Towing eyes must have a minimum internal diameter of 60mm. Towing eyes/towing points should be painted a contrasting bright colour (dayglo red, orange or yellow,
marked with an arrow and the word “tow”).
Hi,
I use a loop of yellow webbing looped around the front axle, Its the same loop I pull the car on and off the trailer with.
I will have to add another one to the back axle, I will have a look in the 65s spare wheel well, I have a feeling my father had a steel bar inserted which picks up on the chassis extensions. He was thinking of towing a trailer once upon a time.
Mind you I would rather the car was dragged about by the rear wheel. A tyre is a cheap replacement compared to bodywork.
I might have to fit a yellow towing strop to each wheel hub, just like we had on pushbikes to keep the middle of the wheel clean.