The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
steering column woes
I've just been for a look and there is no removable floor section.  If it comes to that I could cut a panel out and either weld it back in again after or make a removal panel to fit.  I'll give it a few days with the penetrating oil and gentle persuasion and report back..
As it pre dates RN saloons and those don't have removable foot boards I wouldn't expect it to have removable foot boards. These things are prone to rusting at the bottom from throw up road dirt and water so after you have extracted the Navarra and put the Seven back on it's axle stands concentrate on the bottom end.
Do you need to take the steering wheel off? The column comes out inside the car on our 1929 RK fabric saloon. I know because I've done it.
Jim
The oil pressure should go off the gauge when cold - then settle at 3-5psi when properly warm, sometimes less.

The steering column needs to come out downwards in your car, unfortunately.

Sorry about the accident, I relate to the way it must have felt, things will get better.
The levers are not essential for everyday running, just put an auto advance distributor on it and do the next essential job.Please don’t cut a hole in the floor to get the steering box out.
As Ruairidh says, the steering column can only come out downwards without surgery to the floor of the car and as it's lasted 90 years without someone cutting holes in it I'll try not to be the one to do so whilst it's in my custody. I'll move onto other jobs whilst applying regular penetrating fluids and gentle pressure and see where it gets me. If I spend this weekend on brakes and the many other things that need connection, rectification or persuasion to work I may be in a position to try driving it by next weekend. If the snow has melted..
And I suspect there may be a clutch issue..

The car's last main outing before "retirement" about 20 years ago was a 750MC Lands End to John O Groats run and it's done 3 of them so I know it did work once !
Hi Sparkey, if you are worried about the short, springy movement in the clutch, don’t panic, it’s perfectly normal!

Sorry if I’m teaching grandmother...
Thanks Ivor, I'm on a steep learning curve so any advice is gratefully received!

The steering column problem has been resolved!

I spend an hour or two gently rocking the ign lever and applying penetrating fluid but the lever started to move slightly on the rod/column/tube, so I drilled and pinned the lever onto the tube (temporarily) so I could apply a bit more force to the lever and after 20 minutes of forceful rocking and penetrating fluid it started to rotate!
The whole mechanism has now been cleaned up, lubricated and re-assembled and it all works like the well oiled machine it should be. Even the horn button works..

A very satisfying morning's work!
Hooray!
From feeling desperate to feeling joy !
Well done.
This is truly what a lot of Austin sevens are all about.
When ever I am faced with an issue that might tempt hammers and violence, I am reminded of the advice that my Austin Seven tutoring mentor "Pop Sweet" (fantastic engineer, bless him) instilled in me.
"Always engage head before back"
He was usually right.
He ran his own Garage in Leeds from 1923 onwards - many other mechanics came from other garages at the time to ask him to remove steering wheels for example.
He would make them wait outside while he did the deed so they could not see how he did such things.
To justify the few bob that he charged for such things he would have a cup of tea and a fag before emerging victorious with the wheel.
They were convinced that he had all sorts of special tools - which he hadn't.
His knowledge goes into my cars.