The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
diagnosing a blocked radiator??
You could use one of those flexible curtain wire plughole unblockers up the side water branch, before reverse flushing.

If you get a lot of debris, maybe take the head off and do the same down the water passages.

Every little helps, as they say.
One final word.
Whatever you do only loosen crud in the block when the radiator is off.
If you don't you risk the radiator acting as a "crud sieve", which is a very bad thing
    Ah Charles your approach is similar to mine only mine is off the car using Deox C and a washing machine pump in the white container circulating the wrong way round. All the crud of which there is loads collects in the blue tank.
(11-02-2021, 10:07 PM)jamesheath Wrote: It cut out the first time round, but after I put some more petrol in it went round twice nicely, before starting to steam...

James, was it really overheating? Did it boil? I'm wondering if it was just leaking a dribble onto a hot radiator and making a pluime of steam.
Hmmm...
Andrew, you raise a fair point, that has me doubting myself. The road test produced clouds of water vapour but wasn't boiling furiously if at all. The top of the tank got to 80 deg C in my static tests, whilst the bottom was maybe 10 deg C. Is that sort of temperature gradient ever OK? (car running at lively tickover for 6 mins, from ambient of -4 deg C)
I could test again, and see if it actually boils - I don't want to cause un-necessary damage to the engine. If it is normal operation for this car, it's going to be a touch embarrassing to drive....

John H - I did try running a garden hose up through the side branch, and water flowed merrily out of the top branch, suggesting that there was a clear route for water through the block... that said, I got the same connecting the hose to the rad, which suggests there's atleast one path through the rad.

If I hook up a rig like Charles' I can find out whether flow is OK through the engine, and clean it out a bit at the same time.
Charles - do engines overheat running on your external water tank? how quickly do they get up to temperature? (clearly the water is not being cooled by a rad, but there's a lot more of it, and the engine can't be working that hard....)
(12-02-2021, 11:45 PM)jamesheath Wrote: Charles - do engines overheat running on your external water tank? how quickly do they get up to temperature? (clearly the water is not being cooled by a rad, but there's a lot more of it, and the engine can't be working that hard....)

It will boil if you let it but you can stick your hand in and see when its getting hot.
It doesn't boil that quickly, even with a blown engine. You can also see the thermosyphon system working and the crud coming out of the top hose when you blip the throttle
We once connected a bolt maker ( making induction coil heated titanium aircraft bolts - used somewhere on Concorde) - to the central heating system in the factory to get enough throughput of coolant! This was to test the practicality of making high volumes from a continuous wire feed, not making bolts singly. It did work and the production header had its own dedicated water Cooling system.
What do you want to do ?
New mail
Copy
Before you get too focussed on the possible faults in the radiator department consider that if the passages in the cylinder head are clogged up over years of use in hard water districts, that area in the top of the engine can cause major overheating headaches until the obstructions are cleared out. A suitable drill bit is all you need. It's happened to me on more than one head, and its a quick job to rectify, and check each time you have the head off.
Hope this helps
Bob
Some Reliant Scimitar people use Coca-Cola to clean out their engines/rads. (They are 3 lit V6 engines)  Apparently they seem to get good results and it is quite cheap.   I don't know if adding rum would help.
I understand if one leaves a tooth in a glass of Coca-Cola overnight and the tooth will have diapered in the morning. Tooth fairy? 
When building a nightclub the spec required the drainage to be Coca-Cola proof! 
It appears that the human gut must have a resistance to the stuff, not sure if the Austin 7 guts share the same invulnerability.