The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog in an Ulster.
Chatting with a keen racer, he mentioned Jack French's Ulster with a 'hatch' cut in the tail to accommodate his dog. He says the dog was a St. Bernard. I thought it was an Alsatian. What dog? Any pictures?
Sorry, not Jack French, Holland Birkett and his dog
I think it was a labrador;I recall pictures of the car (AXK 828?), but not with a dog in it.
I think Holly Birkett's dog was of the Labrador/ Retriever breed, quite large.   Somewhere in an old 750MC Bulletin there is an account of when Holly did one of the long distance trials, possibly the Edinburgh Trial, which involved covering the several hundred miles in winter.   Apparently, at the finish, the dog, that had been in the tail of the Ulster the whole time, looked particularly miserable!

I think Holly Birkett's dog was of the Labrador/ Retriever breed, quite large.   Somewhere in an old 750MC Bulletin there is an account of when Holly did one of the long distance trials, possibly the Edinburgh Trial, which involved covering  several hundred miles in winter.   Apparently, at the finish, the dog, that had been in the tail of the Ulster the whole time, looked particularly miserable!
Holly Birkett's "TT" Ulster with dog installed.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Holly's second wife, Joan, bred Pyrenean Mountain dogs. One of them, Bedat de Monda , was a champion and appears in many pedigrees. Not, as far as I can remember though, in the Ulster.
Excuse me while I reminisce.
In Christmas spirit, I wonder what they fed Woogy, Austin 7 dog, on...?
[attachment=1604]

Dogs do love cars.

He knows he isn't alowed the drivers seat until he has a licence though Big Grin

Tony
he should be sitting in an Alfa...
Another learned friend tells me that on one occasion Holly Birkett, Bill Boddy and Denis Jenkinson travelled in the Ulster - with Jenks in the 'dog hole'!