The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Chummy type petrol tanks...
It would take longer to unpick the front plate than it would to make a new one. They aren't just soldered to the tank but are actually clinched onto a flange turned up around the front edge of the tank body.
That's what I would reckon anyway.

Stuart
Hi,

I know you cannot be exact but do you have a rough sort of price you would be thinking of

Thanks
Hi Stuart

Yes I agree it might be difficult to unpick the face from the back but unsoldering the filler tube, support brackets and fuel outlet is relatively easy.  Might save a Bob or two?

Cheers

Howard
Sorry, I have no idea of pricing - I am just gauging interest.

Good to catch up today Stuart!
Interest here R. One only
Rhuairidh

I doubt if I am the only person whose tank went off for repairs last year, and then has been utterly locked down, the person doing it not formally given up, but not prepared to say when they will resume work. It will be helpful to know possible cost and date of availability of a new tank in case this is a possiblity and the original tank can just be not worried about, it may re-appear and it may not. 

Stephen
hi R,

id be interested in one for a 1923. betrol tap in a different position. i have the remains of original to copy.

thanks tony
I must admit I'd been aware of the Roach original spec ones when going round in circles over whether to seal an old one or bite the bullet or perhaps get one in aluminium, (stresses on mountings not good?) but whilst for a new restoration £1100 might be justified, I personally couldn't! I wonder whether a direct owner consortium could produce something more reasonably.

It would be helpful to discuss the wider implication of ethanol fuel on tanks i.e. as it becomes more difficult to avoid, is manufacture in straight steel actually inadvisable now? Is tinplate and terneplate ethanol resistant?