The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Driving fast in a slow car.
When I first put my big 7 on the roads in the early 70s I used the motorways a lot for long trips. Like Colchester to Durham. I was faster than most of the lorries at that time and the roads were not so buisy. When the lorries got turbo diesels that all changed. Being passed by a lorry doing 80 was no fun being pushed aside by the bow wave then dragged back by the suction. Changes to the seed limits brought some sense and also banning them from the outer lane, but on 2 lane motorways two lorries trying to pass each other at 56 mph and approaching from the rear could be a trouser changing time. Now I try to stick to minor roads where possible. Every modern can go much faster than the limit and is mainly driven by people who haven't ever driven an older car. They have no idea of road holding braking etc involved driving a 7. It horrifies me when there is talk of self driving cars. Will the super brain even recognise a 7 as a vehicle moving on the road. If you don't want to drive go by train. We can still drive our cars even with the changes. Having driven in France and Italy as a 7 driver I am jellos of their 80 and 50 KPH overall speed limits off the motorways. I don't think it will happen here. Pete
I am afraid that I have been held up by Moderns on B roads and even overtaken a few cars If I caught them at the right moment with enough of a speed differential.
I drive a high reving EB 65 though.
I nearly rear ended a Porche 4x4 that pulled out of junction in front of me once, I though he would put his foot down and get away from me, He proceeded at a steady 45 MPH I was doing 55+ I got very very close to his bumper under braking. When I sounded the horn I would have been out of sight below his back window.
So yes Driving a Slow Car Fast can get Very Exciting.
I took me only 30 minutes longer to travel the 55 miles to Autokarna on B roads than straight up the M1, I know what I'd rather do !
On a Sunday morning the drive to Woolaton takes 2 hours in an RN saloon and two and a half for the return Sunday evening, the difference is all the modern cars getting in the way. Another time I tailed an Audi TT up long hill to Buxton.
This is all very well, but I’ve driven some very fast cars, very quickly. I like my Austin 7s, but.......
Alan Fairless
Having driven a number of veterans. It was always the pillock in the modern who assumed you were going slow, so pulled out anyway, that nearly got rear ended. The worst was in a 1907 Lanchester doing about forty flat out with 4 up, and said pillock in a Viva pulled out then slowed down so the kids in the back could see the old car. With the weight and 14" ground clearance of the lanchester We would have gone straight through it. Luckily I avoided him Just.
In the late 1960s I was transferred from one end of NZ to the other. I made several 360 mile trips in the Seven to my home town. The main road then included in the middle a few winding miles i with mild grades (as characteristic of old roads descended from coach days. The Mangawekas, later bypassed.) I was intrigued that then moderns instead of hounding seemed content to follow at a considerable distance. Later when I did the trip many times in my Javelin I realised the pace of the Austin was quite comparable with reasonably driven cars of the time. With narrow tracks, marked roll, many on crossplies, and without power steering any spirited driving required considerable effort and discomfort. With the Austin just minor twitches of the wrist. Of course the moderns may just have been staying back to avoid involvement in a rollover.....
Incidentally some years earlier with my parents in their car we stopped at a roadside picnic spot on the road. NZ was a quiet place at the time and people drove great distances for entertainment. It was the day after the NZ Grand Prix and all the young bloods were returning in their V8s, Mk1 Zephyrs, A30s, Anglias, Minxes etc. Observed close up the cornering was more spectacular than the GP.
(Air Force dispaly days at Ohakea drew such crowds from Wellington 100 miles away that cars were parked on the roadside over a mile distant from the rurrl airfield and others were stuck in the carpark past midnight. Similarly night stock car racing at Palmerston drew many from Wellington 100 miles away. Many stock cars and wrecks after were A framed the distance! The V8s used to near disentergrate in clouds of steam. It was the most exciting sport of any sort I have ever seen! Now cannot tow a car without a w.o.f!