The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diff shims
Can anyone suggest a supplier who might have shims available for adjustment of the diff in my 1926 rear axle please.

I have checked all the normal suppliers but none of them have these listed.

Many Thanks
Marcus
How thick are beer cans?
Springmasters in Redditch will sell you what you need. Google will find them.
Alan Fairless
Thank you Alan, I will send them an email. Hopefully they will post to New Zealand

Cheers
Marcus
Marcus,

if shipping to NZ is a problem, post them to me and I will ship them on to you.
If push comes to shove you can make your own shims using sheet metal punches and steel shimstock (or probably beer cans as Bob suggests). I've had to make shims for rear axle rebuilds on quite a few (non A7) cars.

[Image: 30743251327_8d78a2c03a_z.jpg]

Usually, you only really need a punch for the inside diameter as a pair of decent snips and a steady hand will do for cutting the outside.
Also Marcus, I've had them cut [and also pinion depth shims] for other makes from sheet shim stock by water jetting. Not expensive and very satisfactory, there are slight burrs left by the process but nothing a rub with 600 W & D on a flat surface won't fix.
Thanks Ruairidh,

That's a very kind offer. I am going to check to see if I have the correct size sheet metal punch in which case I can make some locally which is probably easiest.

But if I can't and Springmasters can supply then I'll see what can be organised.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Stuart,

I will give this a try

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks AG,

If I don't have a suitable chassis punch I will look at this. I have had solid copper A7 head gaskets cut using water cutting so its an option.

Cheers
Marcus
I have also heard [although I haven't personally tried this] that if you have access to a lathe home made mild steel punches squeezed in the vice or put under your bench top press work for one-offs.