The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front bearings
I put up that page from the Trader handbook tongue in cheek not as a serious suggestion. It was a 1950 advertisement, presumably a viable proposition at a time of shortages after the War.
Tony Press wrote:

Unfortunately knocking angular contact bearings apart can indent the balls causing later problems.

Using unmatched balls defeats the purpose of the original set of carefully matched balls.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes Tony, probably counts as "bad practice" these days. But it did keep my Ruby on the road as a penniless apprentice forty five years ago and didn't cause problems in reality. The takeaway is that corrosion in the tracks will lead to complete failure in a very short time so however you choose to inspect second hand bearings, make sure you're confident that there aren't any rust pits present.

These days, I use new bearings (reduced width pairs are available in the UK) exclusively as it isn't worth messing about with old ones. 

So what should I do with the drawer full of used N1919 sets in the garage??
From one of our cherished suppliers, can not remember which one though.